Author Topic: Mock low carb Chick-fil-A Nuggets  (Read 16439 times)

shawn116

Mock low carb Chick-fil-A Nuggets
« on: November 20, 2013, 04:01:51 AM »
Ok guys, here is the recipe I found.  I got my inspiration from here: http://thedomesticman.com/2012/12/27/gluten-grain-and-garbage-free-chick-fil-a-nuggets/  while the recipe is great as is, it’s a little too high on the carb count using the starch that he suggests.  Konjac Glucomannan Powder to the rescue!!  ;D ;D    You could probably add more to these for a coating such as ground pork rinds, flax meal or almond meal but I liked them with just the light coating.  These are very filling too so don't go crazy eating them up like popcorn  Haha    

Mock low carb Chick-fil-A Nuggets

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts = 0 net carbs
1/4 cup dill pickle juice  (I'm really not sure what to put for here.  My pickles say 1 for 3 but that is for the pickle itself.  They are the baby dills with no sugar added.) I used just the clear liquid from the jar.  I'm counting it as a 0
1 egg, mixed = .6 net carbs
2 Tbsp.  Heavy Cream = 0 net carbs
1/4 cup Konjac Glucomannan Powder = 0 net carbs
1 Tbsp. paprika = .39 net carbs
1 tsp. each salt and black pepper = 0 net carbs
1/2 tsp. garlic powder = 1.06 net carb
¼ tsp. ground cayenne pepper = .53 net carb
½ cup oil for frying (I used coconut oil)  = 0 net carbs

1. Cut chicken into 1 inch chunks and place them in a Ziploc bag with the pickle juice; marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
2. When marinated pour out as much of the excess pickle juice as you can.  Mix the egg and cream together and add to the bag with the chicken making sure all is coated.  Let sit and marinate for at least 5 minutes.  
3. While waiting you can prep your dry ingredients by stirring them all together.
4. Drain any excess egg and heavy cream mixture and add the dry ingredients to the bag.  Be sure to close the bag first and then give it a good shake to be sure all is mixed and coated evenly.  
5. Fry the pieces in the cooking oil until golden brown.  I placed mine on a paper towel lined plate to drain the excess oil.  

These are very good with a nice ranch dressing for dipping.  Hubs really enjoyed the flavor too  Yumm   :D   Oh and there isn't anything in these that is unhealthy so you can feel good about feeding them to your family especially the kids.  It's a yummy way to add some extra fiber  ;)

My recipe program lists this recipe as having 45.35 g total carbs - 42.77 g fiber = 2.58 net carbs for the whole recipe.  It makes about 6 servings @ .43 net carbs.   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:53:19 PM by TooSweet »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mock low carb Chick-fil-A Nuggets
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »
Pickle Juice TooSweet??? :)

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »
Yes  :) :)  You wouldn't believe the flavor in these!   ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 12:21:28 PM »
Sounds really good, Shawn! :) :) :)

I'll have to remember to save some pickle juice and try this out.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »
My kids live on chicken nuggets.  I like that there are no artificial sweeteners.  I eat them, but won't give them to the kids.  I know I have a jar of pickles in the fridge.  Gotta try this over the weekend.

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
I had some of the leftovers today for breakfast at 9 this morning.....actually just 6 pieces and some celery with jalapeno Palmetto Cheese and I'm still full.  Geez they are filling.  I forgot to put the nutritional info in so I'll go fix that now.  It works out to be about 2 1/2 net carbs for the whole recipe.  Let me know what you guys think   :)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:40:48 PM »
Thanks for being my guinea pig!  I have had this recipe bookmarked for a long time!  :)

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »
Haha  I just stumbled on this just the other day!  It just jumped out at me what to switch out.   :)   I never thought about using pickle juice as a marinade.  I have never eaten their chicken nuggets but I have had their famous chicken sandwich.  These taste a lot like those.  Without the bun of course   ;D

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »
TooSweet,

At the end of the recipe you state that your recipe program lists the total carbs... what program do you use?  Right now I just print out recipes and keep them in a pocket folder.  It's getting a bit out of hand.  I am getting a tablet and would love to put recipes in a program so I can just pull them up on the tablet and have them in front of me when I am cooking.

Mark

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
Gotta try this ;) Pickle juice??Cant wrap my head around it

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:29 AM »
Mark I have a program on my laptop that the hubs bought me a while back that is called "Living Cookbook"  It comes with tons of recipes in it but you can put your own in and create new cookbooks.  What I love about it is that it has an extensive database of ingredients including store or brand name products that already have the nutritional information listed.  You can also input ingredients that aren't already in there.   The other cool thing is I can tell it to show me a breakdown of nutritional information like net carbs and sugar alcohols and add a direct link to the page I found the original recipe on.  I'm pretty sure there are other programs out there though....some may even be better.  I got this one probably 5 years ago.  We all know how long computer programs stay current...but it would be a major undertaking for me to switch up now   Haha  

If you are looking into a tablet such as Ipad or kindle I know there are apps out there that will do the same also.  My Kindle wouldn't have enough storage to handle it all though.  Every time I see another interesting recipe I throw it in there....Geez I have so many!!!  I could make a new recipe every day for years and never make the same one twice   ;D ;D ;D  I've probably save a forest or two not printing them out   ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:33:02 AM by TooSweet »

Joagain

• You can have excuses or results you cant have both
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 07:26:35 AM »
I do not have the glucoman powder , can I leave it out are substitute with something else ? I have coconut flour would that be helpful ?

You can have excuses or results you cant have both !

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »
TooSweet will have to answer that one Jo ;)

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 10:13:59 PM »
I do not have the glucoman powder , can I leave it out are substitute with something else ? I have coconut flour would that be helpful ?

Hi Jo!!   :)  Yes I'm sure you could use any coating you would like.   The Konjac Glucomannan Powder acts as a breading for these.  I bet pork rinds or almond flour would do fine as well.  Be sure to adjust your heat in the pan according to the coating you are using.  I tend to brown my almond flour to much at times trying to cook it too hot   :-[   Haha  

Please let us know how they come out if you try them  ;)