Author Topic: Beating The Holiday Bulge  (Read 6943 times)

skychant

• View Profile
Beating The Holiday Bulge
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »
Thanksgiving is almost apon us and so is Christmas and I was thinking...why should I gain 20 pounds over the holidays when I can lose that much by New Years with Fat to Skinny and a low carb lifestyle.  It is common sense and I know I have been successful in the past and can again if I simply apply myself.  So I looked around the kitchen to see what low carb staples I have in the fridge and freezer to get me by until I have a trip to the market....I found low carb ham and cheese, eggs and some philly steak as well as some sardines and some kippers.  I can do this and will do this starting Sunday the 24th.  24 is the size that I am now.  I will oficially weigh myself in the morning and figure after all of the birthday red velvet cake that I have been eating weigh somewhere between 302 or 3 pounds.  I am excited about losing weight over the holidays and well into the New Year.  I am hoping that by my birthday next year I will be healthier and happier. Here's to beating the holiday bulge!  :)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beating The Holiday Bulge
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »
I too have decided to put in a bit of a kick start starting Sunday 24 as I have been somewhat lax this last week.  The thing being is I had given myself permission for this lapse that's the 'bad', on the 'good' is the fact that even though I could have had heaps of sugarladen cakes/lollies/biscuits I really didn't.  I had asked myself if I really wanted it and if I did fair enough but if I didn't , then it was a no: and really I was surprised at how many no's I got.  No more though, time to tighten the reins again.

So skychant, breathe in, breathe out. One day at a time - here we go  ;)

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:23:22 AM »
It is going to be nice to go through the holidays and lose instead of gain.  I got on the scale and it read 305 this morning.  I guess I ate more birthday cake than I thought.  I stayed up all night reading Fat TO Skinny again so I am ready to go today.  All I need to do is reset my ticker and follow the rules in the book.   I am glad that you are getting rededicated morgan.  It is so nice to know that I am not alone in this.  I am determined to meet my weight loss goals in the coming year.  I have put it off for far too long.  Let's get Skinny!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »
Hi, skychant & Morgan! :)

I applaud you two for recommitting yourselves to FTS BEFORE Thanksgiving.
And I hope the rest of our FTS family join you!

This time of year is by far the most challenging time for people to stick with the program.
Most folks have tremendous pressure from family and friends to partake in high-carb junk.
For the vast majority, simply maintaining weight is a major accomplishment.

The best defense is being prepared. Keeping low-carb alternatives available is a MUST!
But remember this... If a slip occurs, DO NOT allow it to discourage you!!!
Simply think about the circumstances around it, and reinforce your preparation.
Then, get right back on track.

One wonderful thing about the FTS lifestyle is that is allows to be human with an occasional slip.
If we use the slip as a learning opportunity, our long-term success is that much more certain.

I wish you both, and the rest  of our FTS family, a very happy and blessed holiday season.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »
You are never alone Skychant   :D  The great thing about this being a lifestyle change is that if there is a slip the next meal is an opportunity to do better   ;)   Here is to the holiday bulge being a thing of the past!!!   ;D ;D

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
Thank you both for the kind wishes.  I have been very hungry today.  Despite that I have done great.  I found a can of Chicken Vienna Sausage and that really filled me up.  I plan on going to the market tomorrow to buy some FTS friendly foods.  I guess it is kind of strange to be going through detox the week of Thanksgiving...I am not going to cave into the pies and sugar laden desserts.  Might even make some chocolate donuts from the bakery book.  I know that if I can survive the holidays it will only be easier for me to start out the new year on track.  I am not going to give up on myself this time...I deserve so much better than to do that.  It is so nice to know that the FTS family is always there when you need them.  Something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:05:26 PM »
Hi Skychant, good going!!! Are you going to have thanksgiving at a relative's house?

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
Skychant - you know there are lots of recipes on our forum. Things that make us feel less deprived. Cakes, mains, desserts , etc. Pick a new recipe and try it out. It is the holiday season and you most assuredly don't want to feel you are missing out, cause that is a dangerous situation to be in.  If you are going out  to share a meal with friends or  family, take a dessert to share - I can vouch for  doug's cheesecake, and no-one will know the difference if you don't want to tell them. 

Remember - there's someone always here to offer advice if you need any.

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »
I am delighted to report that I have lost 5 pounds my first day.  It is really exciting! 
Thanksgiving will be like always where I live with all my family.  I am focused on losing and really have an appetite mostly for the turkey and ham.  I will be making deviled eggs and creamed potatoes.  Since I am the only one doing low carb...the rest are on Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig I have decided to buy some sugar free candy and have that with a cup of coffee after the meal.  I will bake something for Christmas though, we spend Christmas Eve at my oldest sisters house.  I might lose 20 pounds before New Years Day.  Off to have my morning coffee.  I hope everyone has a great FTS day :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
Welcome back Skychant ;)

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:32:02 PM »
I am delighted to report that I have lost 5 pounds my first day.  It is really exciting! 

Congratulations!!!!!   :D :D

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 02:39:14 PM »
Yayy...5lbs.....excellent

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »
Wow!... 5 pounds is great!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Good going, skychant! :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
Thank you all....maybe I should eat the same meals I ate Sunday to see if I can have another big loss...I did drink alot of water.  It is so great to be back!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 06:51:10 AM »
Great going! Good idea to drink lots of water to flush the fat out.
So happy for you!