Author Topic: I Cancelled my Weight Watchers Membership. Starting FTS instead.  (Read 4905 times)

Bridget

• View Profile
Hello Doug and everybody,

I bought the FTS book last year.  I couldn't do it because I was so addicted to bread, so Weight Watchers seemed to be the answer for me because they tell you that bread is ok to eat.  Weight Watchers wasn't working.  I cut the calories, ate low fat everything but I was able to eat my beloved bread.  Problem is:  I'm still fat!!

So yesterday I saw a video about how WHEAT is destroying people's health and causing obesity.  There is a book called "Wheat Belly".  I downloaded it and was astounded.  OMG.  My belly is a WHEAT BELLY.  I MUST stop eating wheat.  Then I remembered the wonderful Fat to Skinny book.  I had been on the FTS plan for 2 days last year and quit because I was so addicted to breads and pastas and got a headache when I stopped eating that junk.  NO MORE!  Goodbye Weight Watchers, Hello FTS. 

I know I'll feel horrible at first when I cut out all the breads and pastas, which is why I'm starting this plan next weekend when I'm off work on Monday MLK day.  If there are some tips on handling this bread detox, please share.

I regret that I was a quitter.  But I'm back now and this time I won't give up.

Sincerely,

Bridget

shawn116

Re: I Cancelled my Weight Watchers Membership. Starting FTS instead.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
Welcome Bridget!   :)  I'm so glad you found your way back to us.  I've read the Wheat belly as well, it sure is an eye opener isn't it.  Very much like Doug's books, it's easy to see what is making all of us fat.  That awful feeling you are talking about is sugar detox.  It varies from person to person as to the symptoms and the length of time it will last.  If you stick to 20 net carbs and under and follow the FTS rules you will do just fine.  Most sugar detox lasts anywhere from a couple of days to 2 weeks.  Of course it completely depends on your body.   ;)   You will feel awesome when you get on the other side of it.  While I was detoxing I found it helpful to drink lots and lots of water.  It helps to flush things much faster.  If you start having headaches try drinking some clear broth of some sort.  Most of us are so used to eating processed food that when we start FTS it drops the amount of sodium we take in.  Drinking the broth will instantly help with that.  (Try and make your own or look to be sure it's low in carbs  ;) )  Next probably the best thing is to prepare prepare prepare.  Have as many low or no carb items close at hand as you can.  While I was detoxing I craved things and found myself in the kitchen often.  As long as I had 0 carb items around me I was ok.  We talk a lot about portion sizes being important and it is especially with items that have carbs.   While detoxing though I didn't worry too much about portions with the 0 carb items as long as I was still detoxing.  (In the first week)  Just remember never to eat until truly hungry and keep it under 20 net carbs and you will do fine.  I kept a pocket full of sugar free hard candies in my pocket at all times as well.      :)   I'm so glad you are here!  Please don't be a stranger and join in often I look forward to getting to know you better.  We are all here for eachother   :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:21:17 AM by TooSweet »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:09:26 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Bridget!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

TooSweet has given you excellent advice!

She's right that sugar detox varies from person to person.
Some folks barely even notice it. While others find it challenging.
But one thing for sure... When you get through it, your energy levels will soar! ;D
You'll feel so much better than you do now.

Please join our conversations here often.
You will find some of the nicest and most helpful people on the planet are here. :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:19:53 PM »
Welcome.  Getting started and through the detox is the hardest part.  Lean on us.  We have ALL been there.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »
Welcome Bridget! i am Umpa, Dougs wife if I can help you please ask.The reason fat to skinny works so well is that we have substitutes for everything including bread and pasta check out the recipes on the homepage or the cookbooks.I also have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. :)

Bridget

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
To you all:  Thank you so very much for your support and kind responses! I feel like I have joined a big wonderful loving family. :)

I have ordered the FTS cookbook from Amazon.  I can't wait to try out some of those recipes! They look delicious. :)

Could anyone tell me the best app for iPhone to log my food so I can easily keep up with my carbs?

Thanks!!

Bridget

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:10:37 AM »
I dont know about apps but I am sure TooSweet will chime in ;)

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
Yep I've got a couple loaded on mine.  I mostly use the MyFitnessPal but I also have Daily Carb and even downloaded the Atkins Carb Tracker.  I haven't used the last two yet but I liked the Atkins one simply because I could use it to scan items instead of always just putting them in myself....HAHa  I know....lazy  ;D  I'm sure they were all free apps because I have paid for very few  ;)  Just go to the app store and look around to what they have.   I'm sure you will find one that works best for you.  I'm just waiting for Fat To Skinny to get one.....hint hint  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 09:11:35 AM »
Hi Bridget, welcome to the family! You can have bread, we have many bread recipes in the FAT TO SKINNY Sugar Free Bakery Book :)

Here's the Amazon link- http://www.amazon.com/FAT-SKINNY-Sugar-Free-Bakery-ebook/dp/B00BS8Z46I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390399854&sr=8-1&keywords=fat+to+skinny+sugar+free+bakery

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 09:16:29 AM »
Thats a great idea TooSweet! I will have to do some research ;)

Bridget

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 07:43:05 AM »
Hi all,

I thought I'd check in and let yawl know how I'm doing. :)  First of all, it's not easy cutting out the bread, so I'm going to Amazon to get Doug's Bakery book (thanks, Doug <3) .  I really don't like the GG Crispbread.  It tastes like cardboard to me.

Anyway, here's my challenges so far:

1. I have discovered I had about 10 main dishes that I loved to eat. They were all high carb.  I'm still trying to find my new 10 main dishes that's low carb.  (Ie. one of my "old" faves was Chicken and Dressing casserole. Another fave was country style steak with gravy.  Can you tell I'm from the south?)  I really don't like just plain meats.  I like gravy and sauces.  I found Doug's Alfredo Sauce recipe but it looks so fattening!  In addition to finding my new 10, I've got to get rid of the "no fat low fat" mindset.

2.  I was in the grocery store for 2 solid hours looking at labels.  To quote Sweet Brown, "I ain't got no time for dat."
I'm still in a quandary about which Spaghetti sauce to get.  If only there was a label app.  Sigh.  Can anyone tell me the best Spaghetti Sauce?  The ones I looked at all had sugar.

3. Having trouble keeping below 20 carbs.  But not to worry, I'll get there after I solve problem #4:

4.  I had a craving for apple pie.  A bad craving.  Trying to get through the cravings. (Ok, I confess.  I had an apple in the refrigerator so I baked it and put cinnamon on it. Ok, so it wasn't sweet enough and I added brown sugar. :( But at least I didn't have crust.)  I had a weak moment.  But I got back on the wagon.

I have found 2 Kitchen Gadgets that are wonderful!:

1.  The LeKue Steamer!  Awesome for one serving of steamed veggies or scrambled eggs!  I love that thing.
http://www.amazon.com/Lekue-Small-Ogya-Sauce-Green/product-reviews/B005SA849G/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

2.  A Spiral Vegetable Slicer.  I made "zoodles" with zucchini and steamed them with a little garlic and italian seasoning.  I topped it off with Parmesan Cheese.  YUM.  All I needed was Spaghetti Sauce.  :)  It also makes fun paper-thin sliced cucumbers for salads.  One of my Old 10 faves was spaghetti and meat with spaghetti sauce.  I have now found replacement #1  of my top 10 ...if I can find a spaghetti sauce.  Here's the link (although you all probably know about it already).  http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390652483&sr=8-2&keywords=zoodler

That about sums it up for now.  I haven't weighed yet.  Will get batteries for my scale today.

I love yawl. :)

Hearts and Hugs,
Bridget <3

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »
Are you through detox yet and have you read the book? :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »
Hi Bridget, we also love our spiral slicer for Zoodles :) You do indeed need to lose the Low Fat mindset. Enjoy your butter, cream, cheeses etc :) I suggest you simply try recipes as written right out of our books and soon you'll find your new fav's. You can also go to the board "Ask Umpa" and post old high carb recipies for Umpa to convert to low carb.  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Bridget

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
I think I'm just finding it hard to give up my old habits.  I'm making it harder by clinging to the old.  The old way was easy: Eat what I want plus fast food and junk. But it wasn't working for me.  It's just taking me some time to adjust, but I'll get there. 

Right now I'm making Salisbury Steak with Onions and Mushrooms from your book.  Also the Cauliflour mashed "potatoes". Am also making deli rollups for snacks from your book.  My son invited me for breakfast tomorrow and I am excited that I can have a ham and cheese omelet, which I love.

I have noticed the most amazing thing!!  I can BREATHE better now!  Not that I wasn't breathing before, but since I gave up all the bread, pasta, corn and potatoes I have had no sinus problems and I can breathe better.  Also, I think I might have had a corn or wheat allergy because now my skin doesn't itch.  (sorry, I don't know if y'all wanted to know all that.) I don't recall reading about those issues in your book but I'm reading it again in case I missed something.  I admit I read thru it quickly the first time.

This time I'm not going to quit.   Even though I still have a headache, I am REALLY excited about breathing better!!

Bridget :)

Bridget

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
Update:

Doug's Salisbury steak with mushrooms and onions were delicious!!  As were the "Mashed Potatoes".

Tonight i'm having Taco Salad from the book. :)