Author Topic: College Student making weight-loss #1 Priority  (Read 3804 times)

saxophoneguy

• View Profile
College Student making weight-loss #1 Priority
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to FTS. I read the first few pages of the book on New Years Day and decided to buy it and give it a try. The low-carb no-sugar eating went well for about two weeks until my new schedule kicked in (basically school from 9am-5:30pm and work from 6pm-midnight.) Worst of all, I moved back into my dorm room that has no kitchen :(

Therefore, I am asking your help. I am looking for little to no preparation food choices that i can buy and keep in my refrigerator. Also, any tips about how to do anything (food, exercise, etc.) in my very busy day would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: College Student making weight-loss #1 Priority
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:52:32 AM »
Hello Saxophoneguy welcome to our FTS family....your salvation will be a microwave and your local supermarket. Most supermarkets have a good variety of precooked main entrees in the deli section. Whole rotisserie chickens, ribs, ham steaks, chicken wings etc... Stay away from anything with BBQ sauce on top. The veggies will be mushy so instead buy fresh and steam in a bowl with 1/4 cup of water in the bottom. Most veggies (green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, bok choy etc..) will steam in about 3 minutes.  You can also get eggs already hard boiled, cheeses, almonds, seeds, even precooked bacon. Fruits....strawberries, black berries and a can of Reddi Whip will make up your desserts. When about and about with friends don't be afraid of fast food. Many burger joints offer lettuce wrapped burgers, remember...no ketchup. Chinese.... stir fry meats and veggies....no sauce though...full of corn starch. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a story from another reader;

Reader loses 85 pounds in 6 months eating only McDonalds food using the FAT TO SKINNY system!

Dear Doug,  I love your book! I started my diet January 1st and by June 1st I had lost 85 pounds. Thanks it means allot to me. I applied what I learned from your book and lost all my weight just eating at McDonalds. People can not blame fast food for there weight issues now. I'm living proof !

Thanks!        Sincerely, Andrew H. Mcminn, Hendersonville NC

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:32:09 AM »
Welcome to FTS Saxaphoneguy.  Although living in a dorm without ready access to a kitchen will be a challenge, you can do it.  As Doug said, it is all about finding the right foods and having them available when you want them.  One tip, be very wary of trying to hard boil eggs in the microwave.  The eggs tend to explode and the mess is not pretty (believe me, I know from first hand experience).

To that point, Doug, where do you find pre-hard boiled eggs?  I tend to boil a dozen at a time and keep them in the fridge, but sometimes having them already done would be so much more convenient.

Mark

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Andrew's story is very interesting.  I have found that many fast food places are adding low carb options.  I love the "hidden" menu at Panera.  Five Guys now offers all of their burgers on lettuce wraps or in a bowl without a bun.  I often eat burgers or grilled chicken sandwiches at McDonalds and remove the bun (ask for no ketchup). I am sure there are other fast food places that can work.  I realize that most college students are not going to many sit down restaurants, but as you will see throughout the forum, people have made FTS work there as well.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, saxophoneguy!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Not having easy access to a kitchen adds a challenge.
Eating out all the time can get very expensive (compared to home cooking).

Like Mark, I too boil a dozen or more eggs at a time for something quick.
If you can fiend access to a kitchen every (only every once and a while) you can
double or triple recipes, split them into meal sizes, and freeze them.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
You could invest in a small dorm deep freezer and do what Tony suggests. i've seen them on cheapcycle & Craigslist too.

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
I boil eggs for the whole week on Sunday or you can buy bags of pre-boiled eggs like Doug said.  My chubbiest has taken the same lunch for at least 15 years.  Boiled eggs; slim Jim's and mixed nuts.  Easy Peasy  ;)  Sam's Club if you have one there can be one stop shopping.  Love - celery precursor; sugar snap peas; cooked chicken; all kinds of nuts and cheeses; etc.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:41 AM »
Welcome Saxaphone guy! :) I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to javascript:void(0);skinny friendly.Enjoy the forum! ;)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »
"Chubbiest" above should say HUBBY!!  Auto correct is making this forum very entertaining to read.  If it were my chubbiest taking this for years I doubt anyone would want to even follow this way of eating!!!   ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:46:52 AM »
hehehehe! :D

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
 :D :D :D  Kim you crack me up  Haha

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
 :D :D :D :D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 10:07:53 PM »
Too funny Kim

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
Welcome to our group and where there is a will there is an A lol
You can have ways as Doug and Tony stated to have healthy low carb foods without having to cook so ask questions and we will keep helping you with ways to do this for you. Welcome again :-)