Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 9428 times)

Shoelace

Another Newbie
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:32:49 AM »
Hi.  My husband and I are 70, I was diagnosed with prediabetes and he with diabetes 3 yrs. ago and we have been controlling our blood sugar with diet alone, no meds, ever since.  Because too much protein can raise blood sugar, we have been eating low carb, high fat.  Our last A1c were both 5.7  The one before that was 5.5 for me, but 4 days before our last A1c test we celebrated our 50th anniversary by eating pizza buffet, so I know that is why it was higher instead of lower.   :-\

It was never our intention to lose weight, just to control our blood sugar, but without trying, I lost 35 pounds and he went from size 38 to 32.  At that point I had to start making more low carb gravies, sauces and sugar free desserts so he wouldn't waste away to nothing, but of course I have been eating the same food, so my weight loss has been stalled for a couple of yrs.

i'm here to learn some new things and to find some good recipes to add to the old cookbook.  If I can be of help to anyone, I'm glad to do what I can.   :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:02:06 AM »
 It is wonderful that you can control your diabeties without meds! You are doing a great job. ;) What happens with low carb lifestyle is carb creep, you stop adding up carbs on a daily basis.To lose weight you have to stay under 20 carbs a day. I have never heard of too much protien raising blood sugar, and Doug concurs. There are tons of recipes on the homepage.I look forward to getting to know you :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Shoelace!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

That's wonderful news about how you and your husband improved your health! :) :) :)

I'm 62 years old, 6' 1", weighed 316 lbs., formerly type II diabetic, with bad cholesterol and triglyceride numbers, high blood pressure, etc.. Due to this, I was also taking FIVE (5) different prescriptions to manage those conditions.

Not long before I started living the FTS lifestyle, my doc told me that something had to change soon or I would not have very many years ahead of me. I thank God everyday, I discovered FTS!!!
Without it, I might not be here today!
And the great news is I take NO prescriptions (other than 1 for BPH). ;D ;D ;D
This lifestyle REALLY works!!!

If you want recipes, we've got tons of them!
Just got to our main page and scroll down through the recipe sections.

There are also others 'hidden' in the "General Discussion" and other areas.
So if your thinking about let's say 'cornbread', just type it into the Search Bar on the upper left side of the page.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »
... I have never heard of too much protein raising blood sugar, and Doug concurs. ...

Hi, Umpa! :)

Actually, there is a process that converts non-carb based foods (like protein) into blood glucose.
It's called gluconeogenesis.

It's defined as; "The formation of glucose, especially by the liver, from noncarbohydrate sources, such as amino acids.".
This process, along with ketosis, allows us to glean energy from the low-carb foods we eat.

Due to this process, we must keep an eye on portion control and only eating when truly hungry.
When we eat too much (including foods like 0 carb rib-eye steak), we can gain weight.

You can learn more about it here;
http://www.examiner.com/article/nutrition-101-what-is-gluconeogenesis

Tony

Shoelace

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »
Sorry, I should have explained.  I didn't mean that protein affects the bg shortly after one eats it, like carbs do.  I meant that our bodies can convert excess protein into glucose, and store it in the liver.  Then when we haven't eaten for a while, or when we sleep, we can have a liver dump, which means higher fasting blood sugar readings.  I eat plenty of protein, but try not to go overboard with it.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »
Hello Shoelace, welcome to the party! Thanks for the age update, I have older folks ask me all the time if their too old to lose weight. Of course the science of the human being is the same for a 70 year old or an 18 year old when it comes to blood sugar. I look forward to seeing some of your recipes. I'll bet you took some of those old favorites and converted them to low carb.... C'mon now, give em up  ::)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Shoelace

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
Yes, I converted some of my old recipes and as time goes on, I'll be posting some of them.

I also want to read through all of the many great sounding recipes offered here, which will take a while.  Unfortunately, since I discovered this site, I haven't had a whole lot of time to explore, but it will all happen over time.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
Thanks Tony. i am anal about serving sizes because I don't like that full feeling.Will check out the site ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:10 PM »
Thanks Tony. i am anal about serving sizes because I don't like that full feeling.Will check out the site ;)

Hi, Umpa! :)

I should have noted that the author of that article states that a low carb diet can lead to vitamin deficiencies.
We know that is patently FALSE!!! ;)

Greens and other veggies also play a role in a healthy eating plan, and provides those nutrients.
However, I admit to taking vitamin and fiber supplements just to be sure.

Tony