Author Topic: Golden Flax High Fibre Crackers  (Read 6634 times)

downeast

• View Profile
Golden Flax High Fibre Crackers
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:37:19 PM »
Golden Flax High Fibre Crackers

Preheat oven to 400.

1 and 1/3 cups golden flaxmeal (0 carbs)
1/3 cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds, chopped (2 carbs)
1/3 cup roasted, unsalted pumpkin seeds, chopped (1.3 carbs)
approx ½ cup water

If I can’t find pumpkin seeds at the store then I use 2/3 cup sunflower seeds. I chop the seeds with the S blade of my food processor. Before I had a food processor I just put them in a plastic bag and hammered them with the bottom of a coffee mug.

Mix seeds and flax with ½ cup water and stir. Add a bit more water if necessary to make the mixture workable. Too much water will make it burn faster in the oven.

Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. You can make individual crackers or 3-4 large ones. I take about a fourth of the batter, lay it out like a log on the cookie sheet, then working through a piece of parchment paper I squeeze it into a cylinder then squish it out flat to a large cracker. Then I use a glass jar as a rolling pin over the parchment paper to flatten it to a uniform thickness. Then I “gather” in the edges a bit with a spoon. If the edges thin out to paper-thin they will burn before the middle is cooked so I make it uniformly thin.

Bake 10 minutes. Cool. Break large crackers into pieces. Total for recipe 3.3 carbs.

The first time you make this watch your oven around 8 or 9 minutes in case they are getting really browned, depending on your oven.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:56:23 PM by downeast »

owensmath

Re: Golden Flax High Fibre Crackers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
I altered this recipe.

I used 1 cup of flax seeds and 1 cup of milled flax seeds (not golden). Then I added parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, and oregano along with about 3/4 cup of water.

It is outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!! They are great alone or with this new dip I found at Walmart: tzatizki dip (2 carbs per 2 Tbs). It is amazing and delicious with a great cucumber/dill flavor.
Here is a recipe online. I bet we can make it so that it's lower in carbs somehow...Umpa? I think about the only "bad" part is the Greek yogurt.
http://greekfood.about.com/od/dipsspreadspures1/r/Tzatziki.htm

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:53:54 AM »
Who says you cant have crackers on a low carb eating plan!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:36:34 AM »
Both of these versions are WONDERFUL! ;D ;D ;D

The original recipe makes a nice all-purpose cracker.
The altered recipe is GREAT with Italian dishes or alone!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!