Author Topic: Our Anniversary Dessert - Cheesecake Cupcakes & Sugar Free Chocolate Sauce  (Read 7040 times)

Sunshine

• View Profile
    • Sachs Central
    • Email
In the past few years I've posted on FB a cocktail that the hubby and I fell in love with over the year.  Since I changed my relationship with alcohol  - I'll post another dessert we enjoyed.

Here goes:

http://www.nuttyabouthealth.com/2013/01/13/low-carb-cheesecake-cupcakes/

We really enjoyed them and the hubby is taking the rest to work tomorrow.

We made a sugar free thick chocolate sauce to top them for that special touch!

Here's the one we used,

Chocolate Dessert Sauce

1 1/4 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup Droste Cocoa powder -- or your choice
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup Splenda Sweetener

Pour cream into a small saucepan; gradually stir in cocoa {may be very thick} Add the butter & place over medium-low heat & cook just till it begins to simmer; stir often. Remove from the stove, stir in the vanilla & the Splenda. Mix very well. When cooled pour into a container, cover & store in the fridge.

* The original recipe called it a 'bittersweet' sauce. To some it may be that way but you can always add more sweetener & then adjust the carb count.

** The sauce firms up quite a bit when chilled so before using set the container in some hot water to soften, or let it come to room temp. Putting it into the hot water will liquefy it.

A 'decadent' topping for cheesecake or a low carb icecream, drizzled on puddings, or as a glaze for fancy cakes. Makes 2 cups of "very" thick sauce but when slightly warmed it gets "pourable"

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Sounds good, Sunshine! :) :) :)

I would replace the Splenda (that has carbs) with FTS Zero.
Zero not only tastes MUCH better, but it's ZERO carbs, too! ;D

Here's a FTS Zero conversion chart that works for Splenda, sugar, or xylitol sweetener;
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4199.msg41593#msg41593

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Sunshine

• View Profile
    • Sachs Central
    • Email
Yes I did replace it and worked great!  Thanks for the chart that will help!  I went cold turkey 5 days no sweets not even jello.  I was surprised - I did fine and kept up with my water and pre-portioned nuts when I wanted something crunchy.  Starting back no sweets today and determined to go at least 5 days and look forward to something occasionally instead of regularly!

Sunshine

• View Profile
    • Sachs Central
    • Email
PS - I asked my dr about the sweet cravings and his response was same as yours basically - the more you eat the more you want :). I will get through this.  I'm closing in on 10 lbs from my goal weight with an upcoming vacation so ill do my best and keep reaching out for support :)

o0OSusieO0o

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
PS - I asked my dr about the sweet cravings and his response was same as yours basically - the more you eat the more you want :). I will get through this.  I'm closing in on 10 lbs from my goal weight with an upcoming vacation so ill do my best and keep reaching out for support :)

Hi, Sunshine! :)

People with insulin resistance issues (the majority of us here) respond to digestible carbs like drugs.

Blood glucose elevation from them causes a release of dopamine to the brain's pleasure center.
But then suddenly,  that level lowers quickly (the "sugar" crash).
To recover from the "crash", cravings for more carbs takes hold.
And round, and round we go!

You WILL get through this, Sunshine! :) :) :) :) :)

And please keep reaching out whenever you feel the desire or need.

Tony

Sunshine

• View Profile
    • Sachs Central
    • Email
It never fails - If I take a nap (not overnight sleep) - I dream about sweets.  And it's the first thing I want when I wake up.  It's nuts!!  I'm sticking through it.  Thanks!

o0OSusieO0o

Steph, you can do this, keep posting!
I'm addicted to nuts now. Raw almonds taste sweet to me and I gobble them up.
Luckily I was smart this time and weighed them into servings.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It never fails - If I take a nap (not overnight sleep) - I dream about sweets.  And it's the first thing I want when I wake up.  It's nuts!!  I'm sticking through it.  Thanks!

You're doing great!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Something else you may try is abstaining from all sweets for a while.
Many find that after about 3 weeks, cravings for sweets disappear.

BTW, it takes 3 weeks to make or break habits. ;)

Tony

Sunshine

• View Profile
    • Sachs Central
    • Email
3 weeks ah c'mon bummer ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
3 weeks ah c'mon bummer ;)

Take heart!!! :) :) :) :)
It won't be like 3 weeks of cravings and suddenly stop!

Cravings will taper off as you go. After 3 days, the worst cravings should pass.
And what's left will get weaker every day.
After the first few days, you're mainly changing a habit pattern of eating sweets.

Tony

Sunshine

• View Profile
    • Sachs Central
    • Email
They have definitely tapered so I think I'm beyond the worst of it.  When I get hungry I just need to think savory not sweet :). And be better prepared cuz sweet is easier sometimes with jello or RS candy :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
They have definitely tapered so I think I'm beyond the worst of it.  When I get hungry I just need to think savory not sweet :). And be better prepared cuz sweet is easier sometimes with jello or RS candy :)

That's how you do it, Sunshine! ;D ;D ;D
Glad to hear you're getting past the worst of it.

If you keep a snack tray in your fridge, it would help alot.
I'll sometimes reach for something like a hard boiled egg, slice of cheese, and slice of sausage.
And chase it with a large glass of very cold water.
Doing this will keep the "hungries" away for a long, long time! ;)

Tony