Author Topic: Frosted Cake Donuts  (Read 4350 times)

Shoelace

Frosted Cake Donuts
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:57:58 PM »
These aren't mini donuts, they are regular size.  I came up with this recipe 3 years ago, and can't tell you how many donuts I have made since then.  These are super good.

Donuts (makes 10)

3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pork rinds
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons maple or pancake syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
24 drops FTS Zero

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease10 donut pan wells.  (I use coconut oil.)

Grind the pork rinds into a flour.  Stir in the remaining dry ingredients, set aside. Beat the liquid ingredients with a fork until well blended. Place the butter in a small bowl and microwave high for 30 seconds. Stir in half of the dry ingredients, then the other half. Stir half of the butter/dry
ingredients into the wet until smooth, then the other half.

Spoon into the wells. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from pan immediately. Let cool before frosting with lemon frosting. Keep refrigerated.

Lemon Frosting
(Can substitute different flavored extract or substitute flavored syrup, lemon or lime juice for 2 tablespoons of the cream.)

4 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
4 tablespoons butter, room temp.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
8 drops FTS Zero
3 tablespoons heavy cream

In a small bowl, using a fork, beat all but the cream. Beat in the cream until smooth. Keep refrigerated.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Frosted Cake Donuts
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »
I like to make the mini doughnuts ;)

Shoelace

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 03:13:36 AM »
I have posted several dessert recipes here that contain pork rind flour, and if I hadn't 'invented' the recipes myself, I'd probably think that couldn't be good and pass right by them.  But you can't taste the pork rinds.  I'll post a link so you can read some reviews of the donut recipe.  The original recipe (and some of my other dessert recipes) contained glycerine until I learned that it is a sugar alcohol, so I dropped that from the recipes and the donuts and other desserts taste the same to me without it.

The link is 5 pages of posts, and many of the first posts are discussions about the glycerine and pork rind flour.  If you want to save yourself some reading, I believe the first person who tried the recipe is post #39 so you might want to start reading from there.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/753130-widgets-donuts-picture.html

moose61

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »
These look great, thanks for sharing! I read your post at the link and I want to try those recipes too.

Shoelace

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
I made the post at the link quite a while ago, and have revised the recipes since then.  The new versions of those recipes are posted at this forum.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »
Oh yum, I have a donut pan now.