Author Topic: Going without alcohol when everyone else is drinking  (Read 36173 times)

Sunshine

• View Profile
    • Sachs Central
    • Email
Going without alcohol when everyone else is drinking
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:25:24 AM »
Last night we went out to dinner with a large group and when I ordered water and everyone else was guzzling beer or margaritas (which was me several months ago) - someone asked me if I was "dieting".  Instead of going all crazy on them (the tone they used wasn't nice) - I simply said I was cutting back.  My hubby backed me up saying he was really proud of me for the discipline I've shown.  So then the topic goes to how their on Weight Watchers as they are eating chips, salsa and lots of things made with flour tortilals.  So to anyone who's been in this position - answer with a positive attitude and a simple "I'm cutting back" and leaving it at that can help end the conversation.  They'll notice the shrinking you and the conversation might turn to "what are you doing, you look great?!?!?!?!!?"

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Going without alcohol when everyone else is drinking
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »
That's a wonderful way to handle situations like that, Sunshine! :) :) :)

Lengthy explanations often invite arguments (ESPECIALLY when booze is involved).
And like you said, as they see you shrink, they will be MUCH more open to why.

Well done!!! ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
Ahh! Yes I think we have all been there !!! Kudos to you for remaining classy ☺️

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
Well done sunshine. As Steph said, we all been there.   I got tired of them trying to tell me I was ruining my health, going to have a heart attack, it was extreme, blah blah, blah.  I wasn't making a fuss, I wasn't trying to convert anyone, but they all seemed to think they knew what was best for me.  Oh and the well meaning friend who would announce to all and sundry and wait staff that I was doing  no-carb.  I mean it was no-ones business  but mine.

bdiane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »
Good Job!  :)It's hard to be the odd duck, not participating in the festivities of drinking. I usually order a pitcher of beer for my friends and a pitcher of ice water for me! Most people are pretty supportive of the "designated driver". No need to even approach the subject of dieting......(that subject is up there with politics & religion!). Keep up the good work, good choices! ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »
great idea bdiane! :)

Sunshine

• View Profile
    • Sachs Central
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
I keep a FTS Zero in my purse and it came in super handy when we had a girls lunch and they all ordered wine and I asked what kind of sparkling water they had - it was LaCroix peach and something else flavored.  It was just ok - I was hoping for more … so I dropped a couple drops of Zero and all the sudden I could taste the peach and I was elated  ;D

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 07:01:01 AM »
I keep on in my purse too for when I have coffee or tea out

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:35 AM »