Author Topic: Does FTS Zero Sweetener taste same as xylitol  (Read 38542 times)

juvee

• View Profile
Does FTS Zero Sweetener taste same as xylitol
« on: April 12, 2014, 02:31:40 AM »
Hi there,

While waiting for delivery of my FTS Zero sweetener thought I would ask those who use it whether it tastes the same as xylitol

I use PerfectSweet xylitol and it tastes just like sugar.  However, it is a sugar alcohol, so I'm hoping the FTS Zero sweetener tastes the same so I can use it instead of xylitol.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Does FTS Zero Sweetener taste same as xylitol
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
Hi, juvee! :)

You're in for a very pleasant surprise... Zero tastes MUCH better than xylitol! ;D
Zero tastes EXACTLY like sugar because it's made from what makes sugar sweet, sucralose.

Although xylitol has a nice sweet taste, it does have a little bit of an aftertaste. FTS Zero does not.
Also, Zero doesn't have those other issues common to sugar alcohols.

I've tried just about every sweetener available.
But, I now use Zero exclusively for sweetening!
After you try it, I'm sure you will too. ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:07:50 PM »
Hi juvee, I only use xylitol for cooking if I need texture and/or volume in a recipe, otherwise I use zero.  One drop is equivalent to a teaspoon and is so sweet.  Mostly use it when whipping cream and of course in recipes.

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:12:25 PM »
Hi there Tony,

I am really looking forward to the FTS Zero Sweet arriving.

I've tried a lot of sweeteners.  Here in Australia the best one so far for me is PerfectSweet Xylitol.  It has no aftertaste and does not have the cooling effect I've heard people mention when discussing xylitol.  But it is made in China (which can sometimes be a concern) and is expensive.  Even though it is a sugar alcohol I do not suffer any tummy ill effects.  I have also tried another product called tagatose (purchased from netrition) that tastes exactly like sugar but unfortunately each time I have used it I have had tummy issues.  I was hoping tagatose would be a good substitute as it caramelises just like sugar (but can brown quite easily in baking). 

I am always hunting for perfect substitutes in my quest to make low carb as pleasant as possible.  Hopefully FTS Zero Sweet works for me like it does for so many others here.

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »
Hi Morgan,

I think I will do the same as you once my FTS Zero Sweet arrives.

Have you tried the PerfectSweet Xylitol here in Australia (available from most health food shops) and if so, is there any taste difference with the FTS Zero Sweet?

Taste is such a subjective thing.  Many reviews on Amazon about a variety of sweeteners and so many different opinions.

I am looking forward to receiving the FTS Zero Sweetener and hope my tastebuds like it.

I'm also on the hunt for a zero carb cocoa - I posted about that on a separate thread.

No doubt about it - a love affair going on here with sweet chocolate flavours!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 12:24:11 AM »
Don't count on zero carb anything in Australia. And look carefully at bacon
 as counts can be quite high.  I buy the no name brand of cocoa with only cocoa as the only ingredient but it still has carbs.  You have to always read labels because they can change from one week to another.  When I first bought Campbells stock it was 0.4c/250ml within 2 years it has gone up to 8c/250ml.  I contacted them when it hit 4c and they basically said new recipe, too bad.

American labelling is slacker than ours.  We have per serving and per 100g and as I understand it they have per serve and if that serve is less than 1 it is labelled as 0.  The serving may in fact be smaller than you would think.  As yet I have found no 0c cream either.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:28:41 AM »
Hi Juvee, sorry for the delay, been traveling :) Looks like Tony and Morgan answered your questions, welcome to the forum! Visit and post often  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
Hi Morgan,

Thanks again.  Your experience echoes mine.  I am constantly on the hunt for good low carb foods.  I am an avid label reader also.

The lowest carb cocoa I have found is Van Houten (I get this from local Foodworks supermarket).  It is 11c/100g.  I think I have also had the Homebrand (can't remember which supermarket that was) and from memory think it was about the same count as Van Houten.

I have also not found any LC cream (I use cream in coffee - wish there was an LC one available).

Wherever possible I try to stick with unprocessed foods -not an easy task.

I have purchased Doug's product ebook so will have a good look through that and may have to order stuff online from USA.

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
Hi there Doug,

Happy to have found your books and this wonderful forum.  Yes, Morgan and Tony have been a great help as well as others here at the FTS family.

Happy travels!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:57:01 AM »
Juvee when did you order your sweetener? :)