Author Topic: Have I finally found a zero cocoa  (Read 7403 times)

juvee

• View Profile
Have I finally found a zero cocoa
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:00:34 AM »
Howdy,

Have been researching to see if I can find a good quality zero carb cocoa.

I have found one at iherb, Equal Exchange, Organic & Fairly Traded Baking Cocoa, 8 oz (224 g).
The carbs and fibre are both 2g per single serve (on the can it shows single serve as 1tbs which equals 5g by weight).  Not sure if 1tbs weighs 5g - says 1 tbs but I think this might actually be 1 tsp - only way to find out will be to weigh it. 

Anyway, if the carbs are 2g and the fibre is 2g per serve, this would make it zero carbs right (2g carbs minus 2g fibre = zero). 

Here's a link to the product -
http://images.iherb.com/l/EQU-90101-2.jpg

Here's a link to the product's nutritional panel.

http://images.iherb.com/l/EQU-90101-3.jpg

What do you guys think?  The pickings are pretty slim here in Australia for unsweetened products.  At least I can order this product to be delivered to Australia along with some other things as I believe the postage is reasonable from iherb.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Have I finally found a zero cocoa
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:27:38 AM »
I forgot to mention, if you use the code UPU509 at iherb, you will get $5.00 off your first order.  This applies to anyone - feel free to use the code.  Cocoa is pretty light, I think 5g may be a tblspn.  When I weigh out a tsp it is about 1-2g.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:34:25 AM »
Sorry, just double checked the iherb code (UPU509) - it used to be a straight $5.00 off, now they are saying up to $10.00 off.  That can be even better, but I don't know if it depends on how much you buy.  Either way it still money off.

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:15 AM »
Hi there Morgan,

Thanks for the discount code for iherb and for your thoughts about weight of the cocoa.
I am hoping the cocoa is truly zero net carbs and tastes okay. 
I will most likely put an order in shortly.  Will let you know how it tastes and how it weighs.
Hope you had a good Easter (I did not eat any chocolate Easter eggs but went a bit nutty on other things).

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
HI, juvee! :)

That cocoa is 0 net carb grams (2g carbs - 2g fiber = 0g net carbs)!
And the ingredients list says that's it's pure organic cocoa, which is GOOD! :)
It will be a wonderful addition to your food plan.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:19:34 PM »
Hi Tony,

Nice to hear from you.  Yes...finally...a cocoa with zero net carbs - been searching for a while I can tell you.

Will let you all know if it is any good once I've ordered, received and tried it.  Might take a week or two depending on how quickly iherb ships to me in Australia.

Hope all is going well for you.