Author Topic: lemon muffins from bakery book - burning in throat - baking powder perhaps?  (Read 11479 times)

juvee

• View Profile
Hi Umpa,

I made lemon muffins from the bakery book and they are pretty darn good.  Just one slight problem - they seem to make my throat burn.  I am wondering if it could be the baking powder.  I remember experiencing something similar years ago when I used too much baking powder or too much baking soda in a pancake recipe.

I think I used three teaspoons in your recipe - is that the correct amount I should have used?

Other than the burning they are lovely.  I baked them in 12 silicone cupcake containers.

I also made a cream cheese frosting (85g cream cheese, 10 drops sugar free lemon extract, 1/8th tsp lemon zest and 6 tsps xylitol that I ground into icing "sugar" using my Bamix grinder.  I have not calculated the frosting but imagine it would add about 1 carb to each muffin (hopefully less).

I had a quick look online to see if there were any good substitutes for baking powder - saw one suggestion to use sour cream - what do you think?

Again, great recipe and look forward to your thoughts on baking powder.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Juvee! It may be the amount of lemon you are using,some people are sensitive.I use sour cream to add moisture to recipes or coconut oil.If I were you I would replace the baking powder with baking soda and vinegar ,it will make them rise and you can see if the baking powder is your issue.If I can help you further please ask ;)

juvee

• View Profile
Hi Umpa,

Thanks so much.  I have not had issues with lemon before - but there's always the first time.

Will let you know how I go after using an alternative.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
If I can help please ask ;)