Author Topic: Let's talk about commitment  (Read 6099 times)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
Let's talk about commitment
« on: May 02, 2014, 03:09:15 AM »
With our various calls for HELP and posting about our struggles, there have been some responsive posts about "commitment".....and this has given me a lot to think about. 

For easy reference, here is a recent response from Tony about commitment:

"We all must remember that no matter what else, life will be life... unpredictable.
      But if we build a solid commitment and hold on to it like a rock,
      when life tosses us a storm (or two), we can get through it.

You mindset is one of success.
      That success will become apparent over time... You WILL reach your goal! Smiley Smiley Smiley"

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!  Have just lost my response post TWICE now, so I'm going to write in MS Word and paste over.....

Okay, I’ve been thinking so much about the word “COMMITMENT” as it applies to healthful LC WOE and in terms of my on-again, off-again “attempts” at staying on FTS plan.  And Tony, when you say, “But if we build a solid commitment and hold on to it like a rock, when life tosses us a storm (or two), we can get through it” you are talking about a major commitment rather than a “Oh, I need to ‘try’ again type of wimpy commitment.  That led to my thinking about some things I went through about 18 years ago that involved some poor decisions that caused me a lot of grief.  I remember the exact moment I made a strong “commitment” of “I will NOT be involved with that anymore.”   That commitment was out of desperation to get my life back together, and over time I have been very happy to have successfully made those changes, and my life has totally turned around as a result -- and of course this is by the grace of God and my firm resolve

It’s like the difference between “true repentance which is a turning away from something” versus a wimpy “oh, I’m sorry, I’ll ‘try’ to do better” type attitude.  And that’s the level of commitment I need now to combat such a longstanding bad habit as “overeating” AND “eating stuff that is toxic/poison even.”

So here is my commitment:  “From this moment, 5-1-14 at 11:57 p.m., I will not eat sugar, flour, rice, sugary fruits, etc., ….the bad junk but will commit to the FTS plan and foods, 100% and I’ll not go back to my old ways anymore, at all, ever.  It’s just too much of a burden in my life and I want to lose the health problems and toxicity that goes with the toxic sugary foods, and instead will embrace healthy eating.”

I don't expect it to be easy nor for there to be temptations, but my mantra 18 years ago to change my life around was "I can do THIS." and again that applies to now, "I can do this."

So, anyone else need to find a time/place and formal commitment?  I guess we just need to sometimes take a stand to “no going back”

Thanks Tony for making the statement that helped me think this out, and thanks FTS family for always being here for us.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about commitment
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:13 AM »
Hi, Elizabeth! :)

By jove, you've got it!!! :) :) :)

When our commitment level is so-so, our results will be so-so.
It's like investing $10 and expecting multimillion dollar return on that investment in the near future.
If we're not serious, we cannot expect serious results... That's completely unrealistic and WILL lead to disappointment.

Each of us MUST make up our mind that we WILL do what's necessary no matter what.
And considering that we're talking about our health, quality of life, and life span, we should be VERY serious!

I'm thrilled to hear that you have dialed-in your commitment level to honestly serious.
By holding that level, you WILL succeed! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Keep in mind that you will need to get completely past sugar detox before it gets MUCH easier.
When you do, you'll be asking yourself why you didn't dial-in your commitment much sooner.
And... we'll be right here to help you through that challenging time.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
*APPLAUSE* ;D

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 05:24:34 PM »
So then sugar detox should be over in two weeks?  What is the earliest it might be over?  Just curious. 

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:27:29 PM »
Wow guys!  That's some inspiration.  Thanks so much.  It really helps me to keep on track when I see heartfelt posts like these.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:40:14 AM »
YES YOU CAN!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
Most people its 2 weeks Elizabeth some less.Just depends how high your carb count was before you started.The vegetarians seem to take longer than anyone. :)

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 07:11:39 AM »
AWESOME post, Elizabeth!! Thanks so much! This is gonna be SO helpful at this time where I'm renewing my own commitment!

And Doug, thanks for the big YES YOU CAN! I hope it's okay for me to "steal" that comment for myself, too!

Jacki  ;D
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

rennard

• View Profile
    • search marketing agency London
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 11:56:37 PM »
Congratulation! Elizabeth. You fully grasp the meaning of true commitment.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »
Of course you can Jacki, have you listened to my YES YOU CAN cd?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 09:12:54 AM »
I listened to it about a month ago, Doug! Probably should listen again now though! I put it on my iPod :)
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
That's what need to keep listening to, the  YES YOU CAN CD. I stayed on track for my health. Made me more committed than just losing weight.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
When you think you are caving to carbs Jacki listen to it! ;)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 06:06:22 AM »
Listening to YES YOU CAN now.  I had forgotten about that.  Is there a way to download that to my iphone?     

Whoa size 8 evening dress????  I'd be in black dress heaven......lol

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
Its a mp3 file,yes you can put it on your iphone :D