Author Topic: Glucose Test  (Read 4393 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Glucose Test
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
hmmm...some advice please.  It seems I am well overdue for my yearly blood tests (I think I've been avoiding them - if my cholesterol is up I don't plan to take statins, why bother with the test?).  The thing is I've just gotten back on track and drinking a bottle of sugar is not going to be helpful at all.  I'm pretty sure I'm not diabetic - no symptoms.  I've had a number of these tests over the years and they are all 'boarderline' (6 or under).  So would not need take anything at this stage.  Thinking I may take the bloods, but skip the glucose.  Unsure.  Thoughts?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Glucose Test
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »
I cant give you medical advice Morgan,but if it were me I would at least get through detox and back on track unless you are filling ill, because your numbers will dramatically change when you get back on track. ;)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:55:40 PM »
I'm going in Friday for fasting cholesterol and blood sugar / a1c. I wanted a starting point so I know what improvements I make. My 50 year old uncle goes in tomorrow for a quadruple bypass!!! He fell over while jogging and his fiancé did cpr for 10 minutes til ems got there. He's been in the icu for a week and in an induced coma. Very scary and very eye opening!!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
The thing is, tests are only an indication of a maybe something will happen, not definitive. They can't predict or foresee.

Ps - thanks for the added anxiety  :)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »
Not trying to do that! :(  Definitely never a for sure, but I want to see where I'm starting so I know the strides I make. He knew he had high cholesterol, but was trying to control it with exercise. With the family history I have I feel it's important for me to just keep an idea of where I'm at. I look at it as another way for me to track my progress in numbers! :)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:35:38 AM »
Sorry Jen, only teasing. Didn't U c my smiley face?

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »
Lol I do now, sorry! My tablet tends to be wonky. Think maybe I'll be able to send him a FTS book and he'll read it? ;) Guessing his cardiologists may have other plans though. They usually do.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
morgan Jen is right about a starting point ;)
Jen a speedy recovery to your Uncle! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 11:44:05 AM »
... He knew he had high cholesterol, but was trying to control it with exercise. With the family history I have I feel it's important for me to just keep an idea of where I'm at. I look at it as another way for me to track my progress in numbers! :)

H, Jen! :)

First, I will say an extra prayer for your uncle's speedy and complete recovery.

As with excess fat loss, achieving good cholesterol numbers is done by controlling our carb intake.
Exercise is secondary to that. You uncle is a living (thank God) example.
That being said,  proper food intake, along with exercise, will do wonders. :)

Once you get a firm handle on controlling what you eat, the blood numbers will fall in order.
There is NO substitute for it!
We cannot exercise away the effects of  unhealthy (high-carb) eating habits.

You know what to do to see the cholesterol numbers you want. ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 05:17:38 PM »
Unfortunately from what I have heard of cardiologists is that after a heart attack they hand you a prescription for statins and put you on a low fat, low red meat & salt, fruit, grain & vegetable diet.  Their thinking is still in a previous era.

Prayers for your uncle, hope all turns out well.