Author Topic: Hello - new to FTS but excited!  (Read 10719 times)

shelleysaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello - new to FTS but excited!
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:42:01 PM »
Hello ... I'm Shelley, from Maryland, and like many others have started so many DIETS, especially Weight Watchers and I have lost count how many times I have started/stopped on that one. For some reason, I think "it's it" but I just don't like counting stuff and feeling like big brother is watching.

I'm tired of being fat, especially for me, it showing in my face, and suffering from sleep apnea. I'm pre-diabetic (my mother was diabetic) and I want to become healthy!

I'm looking forward to the support here as it was mentioned in the RED book I bought two days ago from Barnes & Noble and read through it the next day. Wonderfully written in simple language - not "doctor talk" - but every day person language that, even the font and layout, that it was enjoyable and welcoming.

It seems simple enough but I need to make it through the 2 week detox; even buying groceries for starting my new eating plan, I was tempted by so many "goodies" at the grocery store.

When you've lost your weight, do you ever - iike major holidays - deviate a bit? just wondering.

Ok, and also, if anyone has tips of what snacks to take on the road, as I travel a lot, even day trips, please send my way. That's my hardest part of eating healthy; I visit a lot of hotels in my work and the chefs are always bringing out their best food - including desserts - to sample, etc, and I usually go overboards.

thanks!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Hello - new to FTS but excited!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »
Hi Shelly, welcome to the party! Having chefs offering you food when you travel is wonderful, simply tell them your a diabetic and can't eat any sugar, grains, fruits or starch. Ask them for meats and greens....they will make you lean :) When you travel there's always a grocery store or deli nearby, a quick visit to pick up some of your fav cheese or cheese sticks, sliced meats, strawberries, hard boiled eggs, almonds, a cucumber, radishes, celery sticks....I can keep going if you wish :) If no grocery stores are around and your stuck with room service remember its all about what you instruct the kitchen NOT to bring. No thanks to the bread, french fries, rice, you know.

This is VERY easy....and nope, I never deviate because we have replaced all the goodies with sugar free alternatives.  When you get a chance check out the FAT TO SKINNY Sugar Free Bakery book and the FAT TO SKINNY Low Carb Cookbook. FAT TO SKINNY Zero Sweetener that you see to the right of your screen is also wonderful. Just click on the picture of the sweetener to go to our on-line store :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »
Welcome Shelly! I am Umpa,Dougs wife,if I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Enjoy the forum!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Shelley!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm 62 years old. And like you, I've tried most everything short of surgery in my life.
When I first started living the FTS lifestyle, I was type II diabetic, with high blood pressure, elevated blood triglycerides, and fouled-up cholesterol. My doctor had me on FIVE prescriptions to manage all this. And he told me that if I did change something soon, I would not be around in a few years.

Then one day in July 2010, I saw Doug on the 700 Club TV program discussing all the hidden sugar we eat and how it makes us FAT. I was so impressed, I bought the yellow (first edition) FTS book. After reading it, I knew I could finally conquer the obesity that was killing me. After six months living the FTS lifestyle, my doctor declared I was no longer type II diabetic and took me off ALL my meds!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

By far, the most challenging part of FTS is "sugar detox". It's your body rebelling from the lack of sugar in your blood. It's VERY much like detoxing from a drug. And like a drug, in order to get thru it, you MUST stay true to the FTS rules.
Then one day, you'll wake up and feel better than you have in many years and your energy levels will be thru the roof!!! :) :) :)
By removing ALL high-carb junk from your home will help you avoid slipping during detox.
And we'll be right here to help you get healthy, and skinny, and STAY that way!!!

BTW, many of us have "slipped", especially during major holidays and big family gatherings.
But if we do, we know that by simply getting back on track the very next day, we'll continue our journeys closer to our goals.

The most important thing you can do to succeed is bring 100% commitment.
You must want to be healthy badly enough, and stick to the program.
If you do, it WILL work!... And like me, you will NEVER go back to your old ways of eating.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shelleysaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »
Thanks all and Tony for sharing your progress on FTS. My first indulgence is too much chunky peanut butter, but it's better then the old crap I was eating. One day at a time and I do appreciate all the support. It's not only helpful but encouraging without being like a parent ; )

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:38:10 PM »
Welcome shelleysaw - visit often, post often.  Cry on our shoulders, laugh at our bad jokes, come for our support.

PSwan19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 05:57:21 PM »
Hi Shelley
I'm new as well. I'm excited, but having a lot of cravings these first days. I've been trying to "start" for the past few weeks.
I could have written your post, so thank you for putting it out there.
The replies you've received are helpful to me as well. Especially about commitment.
Hope you're doing well.!
Patricia

shelleysaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:06:05 AM »
I'm not used to posting on forums like this but having support behind you in learning a new and better way to being healthy is very important to and for me.

The first few days have been tough, with headaches (drinking about 8 glasses of water a day), but then using the PB mentioned in the book as my "sugar crutch."

I'm heading on my first trip tomorrow so it's a test to stay true to myself and what I believe and what to be and not cave because "it's free", i.e., the food.

So, I'm taking it day by day.

Shelley

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:29:48 AM »
Hi, Shelley! :)

If you follow FTS to the letter and stay the course, you will soon be past sugar detox. :)

As with most endeavors in life, preparation makes the difference between success and failure.
So prepare for your trip buy making sure you bring along plenty of low or no carb snacks.
And if you order food at a restaurant, be sure to tell your server your on a diabetic diet and cannot have
sugars, starches, breads, rice, and so on.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »
Welcome Patricia! I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask :) You can do this and we are gonna help!