Author Topic: coconut cream  (Read 3830 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
coconut cream
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »
I've  been using leftover coconut cream in my coffee and its tasted great. Also spoon it over my strawberries, but its got me wondering is it better or worse than normal cream. Coconut oil is good for you, is coconut cream also.
Any thoughts people?   

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: coconut cream
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
You can make it yourself Morgan and its the same carb count as half and half.Its full of iron and magnesium .

What Are the Benefits of Coconut Cream?

When it comes to weight loss, the most obvious benefit of this nutritious food is its healthy fat that is not stored in your body's fat deposits. Another fatty acid present is the lauric acid, which is also a component of breast milk. This protects your immune system from viruses and bacteria. This food also helps to remove plaque stored on your teeth. All other benefits that apply to coconut in general are also applicable. For instance, it helps to suppress Candida, or yeast, commonly found in digestive system.

You can make it yourself,heres how ;)

How is Coconut Cream Made?

The product is quite similar to coconut milk, but contains less water. Shredded coconut is simmered with an equal part of water or milk until the mixture is frothy. Afterwards the mixture is strained through cheesecloth. This is necessary in order to get rid of excess liquid. This process results in coconut milk. In order to make it into cream, it is put into the fridge where it sets. The non-liquid part of the mixture separates and rises to the top, forming the cream.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
Thanks umpa. I think I'll stick to the canned variety.  More convenient. On the plus side also is that it is only 1c per 100ml compared to 3.5c for cream.  No...we don't have 0c cream here, which adds lots carbs in recipes that call for cream.  So I'm thinking coconut cream may be a good substitute.

rennard

• View Profile
    • search marketing agency London
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 03:51:17 AM »
Is it the same as coconut butter?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 03:09:52 PM »
I dont know what coconut butter is except the lotion I buy Rennard :D I dont think so though

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »
Coconut butter is made the same as any nut butter.  Simply by blending shredded coconut until it is creamed.   ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »
Interesting TooSweet,I didnt know that :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »
Coconut butter is made the same as any nut butter.  Simply by blending shredded coconut until it is creamed.   ;)

Hi, Shawn! :)

So if you took fresh coconut meat and ran it in the food processor, it would turn to butter?
I knew almonds would do that. But not coconut.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »
So if you took fresh coconut meat and ran it in the food processor, it would turn to butter?
I knew almonds would do that. But not coconut.

That's right Tony  :)  You might have to add just a touch of coconut oil to help it along and just keep blending until smooth. 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »
Thanks, Shawn! :) :) :)

I'm gonna give that a try.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116