Author Topic: Gardening for 2015  (Read 6287 times)

ereino

• View Profile
Gardening for 2015
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
Okay, let's start the conversation with, who is going to do a veggy garden this year?  Hopefully, this is the year that I can retire.  My hubby retired this past January and trying to get the house inside ready to sell.  Big job.

But, once I retire we are going to start a very big garden at our primitive cabin site.  Can't wait to get the tracker tilling a large plot.  So many ideas - can't wait.  We made out a draft list of veggies - need to purchase off web and be prepared.  Still have a few more months to go - probably end of May - last freeze day is around end of May I believe in Wisconsin.  I am getting very anxious.  Planting beets, kale, collard greens, cauliflower, our own pickles vertical gardening, peppers, tomatoes, beans so we can dill them in August and ken wants to plant potatoes, sweet potatoes and so much more. 

What are your plans guys....?  Let's keep this post alive!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gardening for 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »
Right now I am growing tomatoes,kale buttercrisp lettuce,beans,eggplant,basil,cilantro and italian parsley :)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
Cilantro - good one.  I think that was on my hubby's list.  I do love my crocket beans, so probably going to plan about 12 plans and make dilly beans. 

Nice hearing from you Umpa.  I know this is a redundant yearly conversation, but it has always been enjoyable to start planning for the new planting season.

What is the temp by you currently that you can be growing in the garden?  80?  We are at minus degrees at night and maybe zero during the day currently.  VERY cold. 

Take care and will be talking with you,

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
I am in the Florida Keys 90 miles from Cuba.Our average temp this time of year is about 75.My tomatoe plants get about 12 feet tall!I keep my plants in a screenroom to keep the iguana from eating them.They wait till the tomatoes are ripe and take just one bite from each one!I always do 3 plantings of beans about a month apart so I always have beans.I like the Kentucky Wonders :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »
I don't think I'll do a garden this year. :(
There have been a over-abundance of deer around and they've been eating everything except the lawn and evergreens.

I might grow some squashes and tomatoes.
The deer don't seem to bother those as much.
But then, they have been eating things lately they didn't eat before.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:30:02 AM »
We have a deer issue here too Mouseissue.Doug fenced in the yard.We have deer the size of a medium dog called key deer.They eat everything!They love getting in the trash! You can walk up and feed them. :) They are federally protected.

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
Are the Kentucky Wonders the same as Old Homestead?  I am going to grow the Crockett and Old Homestead this year in our new big fenced in garden.

Wow, the Florida Keys - I am very happy for you - I hear the fishing is amazing in the Keys.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
No kentucky wonders are different.Yes the fishing is amazing here  ;)