Author Topic: People Who Watch What You Eat  (Read 4226 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
People Who Watch What You Eat
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:34:02 PM »
Funny actually.  I really don't watch what people eat, it is their business.  Then again I'm not very observant to physical characteristics either.  I have a friend who can tell me eye color, height, scars, attitude, etc, and probably if they put on a pound.  She should have worked for a government agency she's so scary.  I couldn't tell you my friends' eye colors without really thinking about it. I seem to work on the inside of people rather than the outside.

Having said that there are people who seem invested what I put in my mouth (and these people really have no right - except my mother, she seems to have a right to do or say whatever - but that's mothers for you  ;)).  When I am eating FTS, they seem to worry - "oh, she took the bun off her burger, she refused the biscuit, cake, rice, pasta.  She's doing that sugarfree thing again, what a bother'.  They don't say the last bit aloud (because they know I will just say I don't care),  but you can hear the eye roll - it makes me smile sometimes and cross at other times.

I don't make them change things that they have planned, I work around or with it.  I don't make an issue out of things but they do.  Though I do remember going into a coffee shop and asking if they have cream for my coffee and low and behold my friend announced to all and sundry that I was on carb-free.  Why would she do that??? I wasn't making an issue. If no cream then I would ask for some milk on the side so I could put the amount I wanted in - no biggie.

On the plus side, when I started FTS more than 2/3 years ago, I could not get almond milk unless I went online, now I'm happy to say I can go to my local supermarket and there it is, also almond meal.  But the most FANTASTIC thing was that I can go to a lot of the coffee places and they can make my coffee with almond milk - I don't mind the extra 50c - well worth it.  I noticed it first at Gloria Jeans, I was SOOOOOOOO HAPPPPPPY.  In case you didn't realise I am a huge coffee lover.

So to the new people - minor warning - don't let other's put you off.  If you are feeling better (and you will) that's all you need to know.  There will be days where you will say it is all so UNFREAKING UNFAIR, but in the long run you will be better for it.   ;) ;) ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: People Who Watch What You Eat
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »
Hi, Morgan! :)

It seems there's always someone around that knows how to "fix" us.
And they are not afraid to give us their advice (whether we want it, or not).
Some will do it to the point of embarrassment (like your friend in the coffee shop).

We do live a dietary lifestyle that only a small minority of others live.
Knowing that, we must be prepared for unwanted advice.
When I hear it, I usually say something like "Thank you for your help. But I'm doing this to control my health. And I know it works.".

I love my coffee too, Morgan! :) :) :)
I'm so happy to hear that you can get almond milk, locally.
I drink my coffee black. But love almond milk by itself with a couple drops of Zero.
And sometimes, on Smaps for breakfast.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »
Whenever I was out I was always getting a long black with cream (if they had it) on the side.  I have drunk it black, but prefer white.  So if I am actually paying for it I want to really enjoy it.  Now I ask for (if don't have almond milk also) just plain milk on the side.  That way I can just add enough for enjoyment myself. Thereby keeping carb count down also.

AliciaInTX

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
Hey guys!!  :D  It's actually pretty funny. I find that the people who pay the most attention are the ones who use sugary food/alcoholic drinks to lift their spirits and the implication is that I'm not as fun/easy-going or social because I avoid it. I say that it's funny because it just reminds me that it IS such an emotional crutch and one I really don't want to lean on ever again. In the meantime....I'm the weirdo or party-pooper because I don't want it. Talk about peer pressure!!  ;D It feels like junior high sometimes!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »
Hey guys!!  :D  It's actually pretty funny. I find that the people who pay the most attention are the ones who use sugary food/alcoholic drinks to lift their spirits and the implication is that I'm not as fun/easy-going or social because I avoid it. I say that it's funny because it just reminds me that it IS such an emotional crutch and one I really don't want to lean on ever again. In the meantime....I'm the weirdo or party-pooper because I don't want it. Talk about peer pressure!!  ;D It feels like junior high sometimes!

Hi, Alicia! :)

It's been a very long time since I was in junior high, but you're right. It's quite juvenile.

I also have another theory...
Some people insist on trying to "fix" us because they are having a challenge fixing themselves.

Tony

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:45:28 PM »
Let's face it - food is such an issue for everyone.  Socially or personally. Even those that are 'healthy' and don't seem to have issues do.  They watch what they eat.  I think there are very few people that can say they don't have issues with what they put in their mouths. 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 12:04:20 PM »
Let's face it - food is such an issue for everyone.  Socially or personally. Even those that are 'healthy' and don't seem to have issues do.  They watch what they eat.  I think there are very few people that can say they don't have issues with what they put in their mouths. 

You're right, Morgan! :)

The only exceptions that I know of are those with hyper-metabolisms.
They are the kind that can eat large pizzas chased down with beer and not gain one ounce.

Tony

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 02:18:25 AM »

The only exceptions that I know of are those with hyper-metabolisms.
They are the kind that can eat large pizzas chased down with beer and not gain one ounce.

I hope kharma gets them good....but on the other hand - maybe in their previous life they had food issues and in this life they were rewarded.  I'm hoping it's the latter.   :D