Author Topic: Just a hi from a newbie  (Read 7161 times)

toddy44

Just a hi from a newbie
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:43:05 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've just finished reading Doug's book and I'm really looking forward to starting it.
I'm an Aussie living in Canada, and since I moved here 3.5 years ago, have stacked on a fair bit of chunk!  I am so unhappy and want to live a healthier life.
Doug's book has inspired me.  I'm just a little nervous about getting started.
I'm thinking I'll read the book again.  I have the normal "doubts/questions" about whether I can incorporate it into my "normal" life, whether my husband will do it with me etc. but hey, I'm doing this for myself, not him!
Without scouring through the millions of posts on the forum (although I'm enjoying reading them), I wonder where I can find the bread and tortillas or if there are some similar in Canada.  I happened across a snackbread by Ryvita, but it has 24g carbs and 2g sugar and because I'm new to this I'm still not 100% on how to count the sugars etc., that's why I think I need to read it a couple of more times!  I doubt that this will be a substitute for the grainbread, cos Ithink they are too high in sugar.  (the 24g carbs and 2g sugar was for 6 slices). 
Anyway, I hope to be an active member on the forums and add a ticker to show my magnificent weight loss!

Cheers, Linda
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:48:06 PM by toddy44 »

Joanne

• View Profile
Re: Just a hi from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
Welcome!
You may need to order some of the products on line from Amazon , dixie diner etc

read the book...read the forum ...there is so much good info to be found

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:14:10 PM »
welcome linda:) stay away from that snack bread it is super bad for you:(, happiness is closer than you can imagine,get started asap,once your husband sees how well FTS works for you he will jump on board(my wife did)you will find lots of food choices & can eat well.....& be happy>>>> but YOU gotta want it:) now read that book again & get BUSY:)

toddy44

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »
OMG the snackbreads are really bad for me?  NOooooooo, I was thinking they were ok.
Thanks for your words of encouragement, obviously I do need to read the book again!
Linda

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:46:11 PM »
well according to the info they have 4 carbs per slice,there are better options:)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
Welcome toddy44! JUST DO IT! BE BRAVE! :D I am dougs wife if I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite recipes or just guide you in general.Use the Forum , ask alot of questions there are alot of successful fat to skinny people here to help you.We also have a huge recipe section. ;D

toddy44

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »
Hi Umpa and thanks for your response!

I guess the biggest challenge I am having is taking it all in, so I'm going to re-read the book.  Life without bread (as I know it and I thought I ate the healthy stuff) and other carbs is going to be new for me, so I want to be sure on how to go about it and take those initial steps.
Also (and I know this will sound like an excuse, but its not), my two sons (whom I haven't seen for 3 years and who LOVE my cooking) are coming to stay with me in Canada from August to January and its going to be a bit tricky trying to find alternatives for their favourites, ie chicken schnitzels and lasagne - cos it won't be like what they are used to.
I want to do this for myself, I know that I have put on weight since I moved here and have always thought that EVERYTHING in Canada tastes sweeter than I was used to back home in Australia, and after reading Doug's book, I can see why!
Anyways, I will be re-reading the book today and maybe take a trip to Walmart to see if I can find those tortillas!
Linda

founditatlast

• Glad this is a way of life not a diet!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - giftsbydlynn
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - founditatlast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:45:37 PM »
Welcome, Linda!  Doug has a down-loadable cookbook that will come in handy when your boys are with you.  You can click here:   http://www.shop.fattoskinny.com/  That book and others that will be beneficial to you are located on that page. 
   You won't feel deprived on this eating plan.  You simply substitute 'good' foods (low or zero carb foods) for the foods (or ingredients) you have been using in the past.  If you have favorite recipies, Umpa will suggest alternitives for high carb ingredients.  Once you and your family gets used to the differences you won't miss the high carb items. 
  One thing this eating plan does is take away your cravings for sweets (including foods that metabolize into sugar).  So it is very easy to stick to it.  You will enjoy checking out products in stores or online that will make a humungus difference in your carb intake.  Just learn how to read those nutrition labels!  Have fun!!

Diane (founditatlast)

SouthCarolinaLady

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »
Hey Linda!  Welcome from the "hot" state of South Carolina (USA) !  Learning to pay attention to labels will help you greatly in being successful on the FTS plan.
I enjoy CHOCOLATE so I have found some very LOW carb "sweets" at Wal-Mart:
Tastykakes-Sugar Free only 2 carbs per small cake and the Russell Stover Sugar Free candy.  I love milk and have switched from skim milk to Blue Almond brand Unsweetened Almond Milk (40 calories and only 1 carb per 8 oz.).  I often put in some Hershey Sugar free (no carbs) chocolate syrup.   I really eat healthy, well balanced meals each day and not just chocolate!!!  Remember what Doug said: 20 OR UNDER carbs per day. Enjoy the program and all the "family" support !!!  Make it a great day!   :D   (Remember: Carbs. minus fiber, minus sugar alcohol equals your net carbs per serving.)
SouthCarolinaLady (Susie)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:45:12 PM »
toddy44 we have bread recipes on the forum. lasagna is easy, send me your recipe and i will convert it.And I lived in Germany for 7 years so schnitzel I can do.There is no such thing here as giving up anything we replace things we don't remove.This is a lifestyle change not a diet.Your sons want their mother to be happy and healthy so i am sure they will support you.Please send me your recipes on ask umpa so I have time to convert them before your boys get there.You know we haven't done a video yet on how to make lasagna,let me speak to doug. ;D

toddy44

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 08:24:39 PM »
Thank you all so much,Diane, Susie, Umpa and Gary for all your replies and input.
You're right - I do think my boys will just want to see their Mom happy.  I've always had a weight problem and I'm a little embarassed for when they come to visit as I have stacked on a bit here in good old North America!
Umpa how do I send you the recipes to convert?  Sorry, I'm still finding my way around.  I don't think there's too many ways to make schnitzel and I figure that the coating on the chicken is the worst thing carb wise, although I usually do the flour, egg, breadcrumbs mix.

Thanks again, you guys are great and I am so glad of the support you show everyone here.
Linda

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 10:55:19 AM »
On the homepage toddy.Look up at the left hand side of the page you will see a red home button, push it.Then you will find a column called ask umpa.Recipe conversion questions go there.Shnitzel is easy! That way instead of doing private email everybody on the forum gets the recipe too! ;)

toddy44

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 12:13:35 PM »
Gosh, what a newbie I am.....I found it after my last message!

SouthCarolinaLady

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
Hey Linda,  Hope you are having a good day.  Just for your "newbie" info, you can "graduate" from being a "newbie" all the way to a "Hero Member" based on how much you communicate online.  Have a great day!

SouthCarolinaLady  (Susie)  P.S. Almost 2 months on the FTS program now.   :D

toddy44

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »
Thanks for the info Susie!

How are you doing so far?

Linda