Author Topic: Freezing Cauli Rice, Cauli Mashed Potato  (Read 9154 times)

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
Freezing Cauli Rice, Cauli Mashed Potato
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:03:42 AM »
Does anyone freeze cauliflower rice or cauliflower mashed potatoes?  Please share how to fix it - do you cook and mash the potatoes then freeze, or do you parboil cauliflower, freeze, thaw and then mash and serve?  How long will it keep in frig?

Thanks for your help...

founditatlast

• Glad this is a way of life not a diet!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - giftsbydlynn
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - founditatlast
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing Cauli Rice, Cauli Mashed Potato
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:11:26 AM »
That's a question I would like the answer to also.. How to freeze (if possible) "Calitatos"

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »
Whats a caitatos? I suggest freezing a small amount and see the results when thawed. There's never any left around here because we use it all up in different recipes over a couple of days.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Phil

• Realize how rotten sugar is for your health.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:41:42 AM »
Cauli-taters cauliflower mashed taters, I make a batch they never last long enough to make the freezer. I usually take a med size cauliflower microwave for 10 mins on high with a little water until soft. Drain then add butter to taste and a little mayo pop it into food processor and mash then eat. I'm sure you could freeze after they cool. I have made them with fresh and frozen.
And if I claim to be a wise man. It surely means that I don't know... Kansas

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
Thought while the prices were down, I'd freeze the cauliflower into rice or potatoes IF the rice/potato didn't get all mushy when thawed - that is my concern - how well does it hold up.  Just looking for foods I can freeze like roast beef with cauli mashed potatoes, pork chop w/rice, etc. to make quick meals when time is short.  Guess I'll fix and experiement...

Thanks for your input!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47:44 AM »
Romarc did you freeze them???How did it work?

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
I have some cauli mashed in the freezer right now.  I'll let you know what it is like when I eat them.  I made sure to pat dry my cauliflower before I put it in the food processor to make sure there wasn't extra water in them.
Enjoy the long weekend.  I'm going camping.  Have my 1 minute muffins, LaTortillas and GG Bran Crispbread.  I am prepared!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 09:23:30 AM »
You Go girl! ;D Have a great time!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »
Tonight I ate the cauli mashed that I had put in the freezer.  It tasted fine.  As I said I had  patted the cauliflower dry before I put it in my food processor.  I heated it up in the microwave from a frozen state and it wasn't watery, nor did it seem to taste any different than eating it fresh.  This will be great , to be able to put a bunch of small containers of it in the freezer to be prepared for a quick side dish when I need one without hauling out the food processor every time.

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 04:52:30 PM »
Did you cook/steam the cauliflower till tender then process it into mashed potato texture then freeze?  Did you ad any seasonings before freezing?

I made my cauli mashed potatos and froze - I didn't add any seasonings - just mashed cauliflower.  We just took a pkg out of the freezer the other night, and boy was it strong in taste and odor!!  I haven't yet tried the cauli-rice which I froze raw.  Glad to hear that it does turn out good - will have to try again.

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
Romarc, I made it just like the recipe in Doug's book, page 167.  I used Hellman's mayonnaise, butter, salt & pepper, the only thing I did differently was when I took the cauliflower out of the water I put it in a strainer to drain some of the water and then pat the pieces dry as I put them into the food processor.  We ate it for supper that night and I put the rest in a few small containers in the freezer.  My husband even ate it last night and if it would have smelled or tasted strong he would not have eaten it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:28:55 PM by Shihtzumom1 »

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I'll give it another try.  :)