Author Topic: What to eat when you dont have alot of money  (Read 5204 times)

gonnagetthere

What to eat when you dont have alot of money
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »
I am having a terrible time trying to stay on tract . The cost of of buying all the suff you need to but variety in your diet is too much . I do know that it is just the initial cost . But just dont have it . I know that I can not be alone in this .I am pretty much eating chicken with a salad ,a hamburger with a salad . pretty boring .
   I did find Jiacama for 88 cents a LB at walmart but it shrinks down so much when you cook it ,you have to buy alot the jicama that made Garys plate of fries must have weighed 3 lbs at least cause & cut one up that weighed a lb and it was hardly nothing there.
  I just cant afford to order the stuff I need to make the stuff that will give me variety. Cheese & meet is expensive ,Almond Flour is expensive . half the stuff I would have to order then pay shipping .
 Oh well sorry for complaining just felt down in the dumps about being broke and having to eat the same thing . :(

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: What to eat when you dont have alot of money
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »
Is it expensive?

How much do potato chips cost per pound? Whats the cost for a box of cereal and a gallon of milk? How much do cookies cost these days? Juice, cake mixes etc...

Lets talk medical costs for failing health and prescriptions.....how much does that add up too?

I bought 10 big London broil steaks last night at Ingles....SALE $2.28 per pound and a 9 pound turkey breast for $1.28 per pound. Sam's club has great prices on wonderful cheeses...The deals are around if you look for them.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:20:49 AM »
I know what you mean. I struggle alot with the cost of food. Men just dont get it lol!

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:36:08 AM »
we get it:) hey jicama here is $1.19 per lb:( i should be complaining, and I've never seen 1 that only weighed a lb :( hey lets face it there are cheap foods & expensive foods either way you're eating,the way we were all eating before...well i think we all see where that road led to... one word FAT.....unless you follow this road to the end,you'll never know where it leads:) so buck up:) its only expensive if you choose to experiment and keep trying to make everything that's mentioned on here, choose a core menu and stick to it,then when you have a little extra cash go get some new stuff,stop making excuses and think of all the "benefits" that come along with this "job" ordering on line is a pain,I've only done it once,hey Jo i am unemployed and i still eat FTS ya just have to not feel the need to make every recipe that you see posted:)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:42:56 AM »
I think it comes down to good planning especially when you have a family.If you plan your meals it will be easier.Prepackaged food is very expensive.Anything you make from scratch is gonna be cheaper.When I do my recipes for you guys i try not to use anything that I can't get from my local grocery store. ;) Gonnagetthere when your son leaves in a few years he is gonna have to be taught how to feed his diabeties and when kids leave the nest they don't have much money either.So I think it comes down to making the best food choices you can. In real life I am a landlord.It always makes me giggle when people tell me they don't have money to pay their rent as they are smoking their cigarettes and drinking a beer!Do you know what cigarettes cost???Its all about making correct choices ;)

gonnagetthere

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »
That is what I said I am not throwing in the towel . I will just keep eating a meat and salad . all the stuff looks good just want a change every once in a while .  Because I do feel much better . I am sure that I will stay away from carbs cause of the way I feel . I do hope to lose weight of course but I have had this BIG A.. for so long I think It is not going to go willingly or quickly . So I am anticipating slow weight loss and just be glad I feel better . JUst wish I had money LOL

katary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:56:04 AM »
youre funny Jo....stop talking about that BIG A@* like its your best friend,it will for sure go away & never come back if you want it to:) hey and variety for me is different kinds of lunchmeats,cheese,salad,chicken etc....i only buy the expensive stuff occasionally, the thing that i have really noticed with ALL of us on here,especially as of late...... it our complete obsession with FOOD,it's what we spend most of our time talking & thinking about... i think that a real tell tale sign of why we are here to start with.....life has become so much more FUN in the last 4 months,FOOD isnt even in my top 10 list of things in it:)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:59:20 AM by katary »

TTnomore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:12:39 AM »
Hi Gary! You have hit the nail on the head ;D When people start a new "project" they jump in with both feet and sometimes get carried away with trying to do it all at one time. As far as changing our way of eating, we tend to obsess and think way too much about "the next meal". I would be willing to bet that not that much thought went in to meal prep in "the old life". Following Doug's science really isn't or shouldn't be difficult. His recipes. I believe, are meant to be a guide. People just need to think about what they "used" to eat and figure out ways to make it work into the program as Umpa is trying to show everyone. Plain old meatloaf and mashed potatoes and a green veggie isn't any more difficult or expensive. Our favorite pork rinds replace the breadcrumbs in the meatloaf, cauliflower (frozen is many times cheaper than fresh and cooks quicker) is the new mashed potato and you can always get frozen green beans on sale. Don't know about your house, but that is a favorite in mine. OK...jumping off my soapbox now....... ;)
Gail

gonnagetthere

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 09:27:07 AM »
That is crazy cause that is what I am making tonight is meatloaf  I am going to try the calui potatoes again .And that is what I think I did I got carried away with all dougs & umpas delish looking recipes ,and got off track I am going to stick to my sf jello when I want something sweet and my meat & vegs  & pork rinds . Gary my BA@ is like my best friend but now that I am older I am getting tired of carrying it around ,it needs to find somewhere else to go . Also I know why you use pork skins so often they are cheaper   ;D.

Wow thanks guys yall got me back on track I needed this I knew there was a reason I joined this great forum .  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »
I always thought alot about food mostly because I am one of those people that will cook a meal that takes all day to prepare. That and when I was a kid I was always hungry.... :P

gonnagetthere

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »
Well when you have or has a child with diabetes that is all you can think about sometimes . How many carbs is this, I want to eat this you, cant have that . I think that everybody that is fat has unhealthy thoughts about food . That is why we got fat ,also thinking carbs were good for us was another reason .  Hopefully in about 3 - 4 months I will feel so good I want be thinking of food . What has to take place in your way of thinking is .

EAT TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO EAT !

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »
Hallelujah!! What a great set of answers :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

katary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »
AMEN SISTA:)

gonnagetthere

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »
 Woo hoo  I am Happy Doug sent me a link to this forum .

lowcarbnic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »
A can of tuna is cheap, so are eggs.  Ground beef is usually on sale so for a cheap and quick meal I cook it up and stuff it in some green peppers and cook.  A little sour cream on top.. YUM and cheap.