Author Topic: Breakfast on the go  (Read 7403 times)

ajfiorillo

• View Profile
    • Email
Breakfast on the go
« on: January 26, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

i am going to start this diet and am trying to come up with good breakfast ideas for myself since i eat breakfast everyday at work. I figured i could bring in some hard boiled eggs. Maybe another day have cottage cheese or yogurt. What are your thoughts? or what do you bring in?

Thanks
Al

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Breakfast on the go
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
First welcome to the forum ajfiorillo! I am umpa,dougs wife.I have a column on the home page called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Be careful of yogurt,read the label.There is one that Tony eats that is acceptable and I am sure he will chime in.If you have a microwave the one minute muffins (OMM)are great lotsa recipes on the forum.I like  breakfast tacos ,hard boiled eggs,sliced cheddar(or any cheese),strawberries and cottage cheese,protien bar or shake,Baby quiches, or a sandwich.If i can help you  further please  ;)ask

owensmath

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:36:16 AM »
Umpa had great ideas. I also don't limit myself to traditional breakfast foods. Some days, I eat salad for breakfast if I am fixing it for my lunch. I also warm up leftovers from dinner the night before.  As for yogurt, if you are near a Kroger, they have a yogurt brand called "carb-master" that  is really good and very low in carbs. It is bigger than the Dannon one that has the same amount of carbs.

ajfiorillo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »
Umpa,

thank yuo for the great ideas. I like the idea of the OMM but not sure what the net carbs of it is. on the recipe thread that lists the recipe for them everyone is saying different numbers. Do you know what it actually is?

thanks
Al

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »
Hi Al

I know I'm not Umpa but I wanted to welcome you to the FTS family  ;D 

The reason everyone has different counts would because they use different brands or even different ingredients.
If you make it out of flax meal that is a 0 carb as compaired to using almond meal that can have varied counts etc....
Some folks buy the omega 3 eggs (like egglands best) which claim to be 0 also...... I like to use egg beaters but it is 1 net per serving
So it comes down to what your ingredients are  ;) 

Hope this helps and again welcome  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »
I like goldenflaxseed best for the OMM recipe which is a zero. ;)

ajfiorillo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 01:31:35 PM »
WOW my wife and tried the OMM and they were amazingly good. Definitely a staple snack/side food. for only 1net carb or less its great! and filling thank you soo much

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
Welcome to the family, ajfiorillo!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Carbmaster yogurt (the one that Owensmath mentioned) is the brand I buy.
It has only 4 net carb grams per container, is inexpensive, and tastes great!

Danon is also quite good, but more expensive.

It is VERY important for you to remember that FTS is a lifestyle and NOT a diet.
A diet is temporary an usually means giving up things we like.
FTS is a permanent lifestyle change and we replace those high-carb things that we like with low-carb alternatives.

As many of us here will attest, if we go back to eating the way we did before FTS, the FAT always comes back!
What you do today is what matters!

ajfiorillo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
Thanks for the info. Believe me I know all about lifestyle changes. I lost over 120lbs a few years back but after my son was born my life changed and little by little around 50 lbs came back to get me.

I noticed that today(my third day) I am very swollen and I think this from the increase in sodium from cheeses, deli meats and eggs. Did anybody else experience this?

Thanks,
Albee

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
... I noticed that today(my third day) I am very swollen and I think this from the increase in sodium from cheeses, deli meats and eggs. Did anybody else experience this?

Thanks,
Albee

Hi Albee! :)

No two of us are alike.
Some can eat TONS of salt, and not have any ill effects. Others, aren't so lucky.

Many deli meats are LOADED with sodium. So be careful.

Added salts, sugars, etc. are used to "enhance" the flavor of prepackaged food.
That's why we must be diligent "label readers".
Since you may be sensitive to increased sodium intake, when reading nutrition labels, pay attention to the sodium content per serving.

Another factor for the ladies is "time of month" (TOM).
That, along with added sodium, can cause uncomfortable water retention.

One thing most folks don't do is drink enough PLAIN water... At least 64 ounces per day.
Drinking water helps to remove excess water from our cells (i.e. bloating).
So avoiding salt and drinking plenty of water, should be a big help.
What you do today is what matters!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »
Welcome Albee! 

My breakfast favorites are:  turkey sausage/cheese quiche, OMM (strawberry, chocolate), poached egg with turkey sausage link or breakfast burrito.  The nice thing about the quiche is you can make it in a pie plate and it is quick to warm up the following morning. 

Quiche -
turkey sausage or your choice of meat
cheese
3 eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
salt/pepper
pour in pie plate, bake at 390 for 26 minutes! 

This is 6 breakfast servings for us!

ES15

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
Hi Albee

This is my first week of FTS and a quick breakfast was something I was looking for two. On Sunday I made one huge batch of scrambled eggs with italian sausage, mushroom, peppers, onions in it, fried it all, let it cool and stuck it in a big container. Each day I scoop out one cup for breakfast and then heat it up in the microwave for less than a minute. Its worked really well and taste just the same as if you fried it all that morning.

Hope this helps!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!   I love the breakfast casseroles too!  I just bake it then cut a square and take it to the office with me.  Then again, I have been known to make the flax pancakes and take them to work too!  :D

I have the OMM lots of mornings.  Today I made it with flax and flavored it with pumpkin pie spice.  It was really tasty with cream cheese on top while it was still warm!  ;D

millie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »
  hi its millie,

welcome to the forum , i agree with the crustless quiche, just made it with cauliflower, broccoli, sausage, cream, egg substitute,
 so easy and delicious.

god bless

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 05:56:03 AM »
Hi Millie,
I am a new member as well going on week 3 and work long shifts. 7a-7p so I have to pack my whole day with me. I do the same thing that most others have mentioned. I usually will make an omlet with spinach , mushrooms, onions and anything else that is "low carb" that  you like and top it with cheese, put it in tupperware and on my way I go. For lunch I do the same. I will cook chicken the night before, or sandwhich steak in little bit of oil or pad of butter, season with salt and pepper cheese on top and off I go.
Best of luck on your new journey
: )
Steph