Author Topic: Walking up to strangers to spread the word  (Read 10700 times)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
Walking up to strangers to spread the word
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »
It is a new phenomenon that is happening with me and it's driving my husband crazy. When we are out at restaurants or even at the grocery store and I see an overweight person, the size of what I used to be, I have the overwhelming urge to sneak up to them and tell them I have the secret to being thin. My husband thinks that they are going to take it as an insult and be rude to me.  But it just hurts me to see someone living that way, the way I used to, when I know how they can change it all...forever. Dan (my cutiepie hubby) thinks if the rolls were reversed it would hurt my feelings but maybe if I can help just one person...it would be a good thing.

Any suggestions guys?
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

momx04

• View Profile
Re: Walking up to strangers to spread the word
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »
Hi Sherripie,
I agree with your husband on this one... 

BUT

I also believe in what you are saying.  AND, I also believe that even though the person will probably be insulted, they may go straight to the bookstore just to "check it out" or it could start an informative dialogue FTS. ??? 

Our weight issues are such a personal struggle, you may not be received in the spirit in which you are giving your gift, and that probably worries Dan. 

My husband bought me this book for Christmas  ::)  I was insulted...honestly insulted.  It took me a long time to pick it up and check it out... 

Well, we all know now that he's the man!   :-*

It's a touchy issue, but I understand your need to share it with anyone who would benefit. 

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

joagain

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:57:36 AM »
I agree with your husband also Sherrie ,one because everyone has to be ready . If someone walked up to me I would have been hurt and might have said something that was not nice .

Low carb is out there people know about it they just are not ready to do something about it .  I think that if you were to post before and after pics of yourself on your facebook page then others will say wow ,How did you do it ? then you can pass the word around .

I know how you feel about wanting to tell them but I know how I would feel if someone walked up to me and said something . I have (it is getting better ) a hard time going out to restaurants and different places because I am/was ashamed of my weight and when I finally do get out if someone said something BAM I would not go out again .People already give fat people the look ,I dont think anyone should say something .

Get a FTS  t-shirt that says ask me how I lost 200 pounds ,let them come to you !

Just my opinion  ,but you know what they say about opinions  ;)

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »
I know you want to shout it from the rooftops!  YOU SHOULD...you are amazing and such an inspiration to us all. The members here choose to be here and they are so lucky to find you in the process!  I think if you were to just approach a stranger, it may appear as though you are judging and the response will probably be hurtful.    

When people ask me "what are you doing...you look great"...I can't keep my mouth shut about the lifestyle, the book, where to buy it, the website... and this one woman "sherripie" who you just have to see to believe!~etc.  I become sort of a "motor mouth".   ::)  (my son told me last night..."enough already, mom...we get it...dinner was only 6 carbs tonight...") as I was talking about how I made the most delicious meal for only 6 carbs...

Sherripie, you inspire the 4000+ members here.  You are spreading the word.  
You shared your story with me! :)

Theresa

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:21:29 AM by momx04 »

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
Well said Theresa..... I had to laugh about your son saying ..."enough already, mom...we get it...dinner was only 6 carbs tonight..."  LOL I have to catch myself because I am constantly talking about carbs.  I know my family is getting tired of hearing me dissect my food all the time.... ::) ::)  

SherriPie I would have to agree with the others.  If it were me I would be so hurt and probably would cry... :'(   I know what you mean though I to want to tell everyone what I know.  Your heart is in the right place.  ;)  I do like the T-shirt Idea though.  

Theresa you have a brave hubby!!   :o  He must love you very much...

Rena

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
I used to sell Herbalife and had very good results with their products. You've probably seen the buttons their distributors wear that say, "lose weight Now, Ask Me How!" I didn't like approaching people, so the buttons let them make the decision to ask me. I got asked most when I had a before/after button on. I know FTS isn't Herbalife, but other weight-loss programs do things like that and it works.

Do whatever feels comfortable to you, Sherri. Your results will speak the loudest and people will notice that. One of my neighbors asked my daughter what I was doing the other day because she noticed I have lost weight. I haven't even spoken to her or stood next to her in months, so she picked on it just from seeing me across the road.

Rena

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »
Oh! Here's a funny story about my Herbalife days ...

We used to distribute flyers and sometimes we'd put them on cars in parking lots. Well, I had some post-it notes made up of my before & after pictures and those were really handy because we could stick them everywhere. Rick would walk up and down the car aisles and could slap down flyers in record speed. Well, one night he was doing it late and in the dark. He's bolting up and down the aisles when suddenly he sticks one of the post-it notes right on some guy's head! Hard to see those open windows in the dark, more or less someone sitting there -- HA! Fortunately, they had a good laugh over it and he didn't beat the crap out of Rick.

Ahhh yes ... fun times! :D :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
Hi Sherri! :)

I understand exactly how you feel.
But like most of the other members are suggesting, you have to be VERY careful on how you would approach someone you do not know about such a personal subject. For most folks, being overweight is tied to some deep emotions.

If you wore something like that T-shirt, it would put the "ball in their court" and allow them the choice to openly discuss their weight issue or not.

One thing that any of us can safely do for those folks is pray.
The power of prayer can easily move mountains!
What you do today is what matters!

Roselover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »
I agree with the t shirt idea,  and maybe even a tote bag? Doug and Umpa???
I have a ways to go before I can wear the shirt, lol

joagain

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »
Yeah the tshirts would not work as well on Fat peeps LOL  That would be asking for some remarks I could hear them now
"FAT TO SKINNY  not working so well for you is it """   I will wear one proudly when I reach my goal . BUt until then everytime someone asks how I have lost weight I will for sure tell them

FTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!

Theresa
 I know what you mean about talking about how great it is . We cant help but to brag when we make a good meal for 5-6 carbs !

Rena

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »
Doug could easily make Fat To Skinny bumperstickers on Zazzle or Cafe Press. Those would work good, too.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »
Sherri I do it all the time and have for 6 years. No-one has ever told me they were insulted, in fact most heavy people listen with an open ear...lets face it, no-one wants to carry around the extra weight and if someone has the guts to approach them with the answer most people will listen.

The key for me has always been my before picture on my business cards. I simply show them my card and say....this used to be me  :o

I'll put some cards in the mail to you today. If anyone else wants some give me your address in a personal email and I'll send some to you :)

YOU GO GIRL!  8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:52:55 PM by Doug Varrieur »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  How would you have reacted to someone coming up to you when you were obese?  Using discretion I wouldn't blame you for spreading the word.  I really wish that I had found out about FTS years ago.  I wouldn't be fat now if I had.  You do have to take into concideration that some people will not give up carbs.  I find that is the case with alot of poeple that ask me how I am losing weight.  You really should wear a FTS t-shirt though.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 08:01:51 PM »
Sherri I do it all the time and have for 6 years. No-one has ever told me they were insulted, in fact most heavy people listen with an open ear...lets face it, no-one wants to carry around the extra weight and if someone has the guts to approach them with the answer most people will listen.

The key for me has always been my before picture on my business cards. I simply show them my card and say....this used to be me  :o

I'll put some cards in the mail to you today. If anyone else wants some give me your address in a personal email and I'll send some to you :)

YOU GO GIRL!  8)

Hi Doug! :)

Other than T-shirts, business cards with a before picture would be another great way to "break the ice"!
But I think it would work best if the picture was of the person handing out the cards.
What you do today is what matters!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:49:56 PM »
Wow...this is a two sided issue, and I totally understand.  I still have a long way to go, but even now when I see someone who needs FTS, I get a big lump in my throat iwishing I could help them.  It happened today!  Our lunch gang has this one mexican restaurant we frequent quite often.  I have been seeing this lady coming in eating by herself.  She is just about the same size as I was when I started FTS.  Today, I was leaving as she was coming in.....I just smiled at her and told her I liked her blouse..   :-[  That's all I could muster up!!!   Sherri, if you figure it out....tell ME how!  I would NEVER want to hurt anyone.