Author Topic: Best Flour-less Chocolate Mug Cake I've tried  (Read 34955 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best Flour-less Chocolate Mug Cake I've tried
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 09:44:49 AM »
You are welcome :)

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »
Hi there,

Check the label on your cocoa Rena.  I use Frye's cocoa and it is 0 carbs.  The store brand NoName has carbs, they must have fillers in it.

I saw this post about cocoa with zero carbs - is it available online anywhere?

The lowest carb cocoa I can get here in Australia is 11.4 g of carbs per 100g.

Would love a "no carb" cocoa!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »
Food Lion brand is 0 carbs,but 0 carb cocoa powders are hard to find.You dont need a lot of powder for recipes usually just a couple tablespoons.What are you trying to make?

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 12:02:52 AM »
Hi Umpa,

I use cocoa daily (hot chocolate or choc shake).  Every little carb saving counts.

While we do have at least one good online store in Australia for low carb products (www.lowcarbcentral.com.au) our supermarkets have nothing that is specifically low carb.  It is very hard to find anything sugar free that does not contain malitol and similar "tummy" issue products.  I keep waiting for the low carb penny to drop...taking a long time I must say.

I mostly use regular foods (meat, veges, cream cheese, cream, frozen berries) but it is nice to have a good supply of low carb items to supplement things.

I would order the Lion zero carb cocoa if it was available online - have not found it anywhere so far though.

Another thing we do not have here is unsweetened baker's chocolate.  The closest I have found is cooking chocolate but it contains about 55 c per 200g block (similar to Lindt).

We Aussies just have to be more inventive to keep things interesting.  Sites like yours help tremendously!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 05:18:37 AM »
IGA and selected chemists stock chocolate by the Sugarless Company -dark choc has malitol but only has O.002/sq (8g) which I use for cooking. It is expensive at around $6/200g (?) block.  Still works out cheaper than having to pay postage.  I have tried various avenues to obtain some.  Amazon wanted to charge something like $24 for postage: Then no longer shipped food items to Australia.  If you find something let me know :)

There is a thread on the forum where we talked about a mix of cocoa & copha as 'emergency' baking choc.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »
If I can help you convert your recipes just go to the homepage and ask Umpa.Do you have the Fat to Skinny Bakery book?You can get it free with 50 posts  ;) I tried to use products that are in the grocery store.

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »
I just saw this recipe and am going to give it a try once I can find the no carb cocoa.

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 10:01:07 PM »
Hi Morgan,

Yes, I've seen the Sugarless Company products.  I tried the white chocolate and loved it.  BUT!  Regretted it afterwards.  The darn malitol - packs a putrid punch.

No malitol for me anymore.

I can eat the The Well Naturally milk chocolate without any side effects - just have to watch the portion size.  A bar is 45 g and around 4c I think.

I am going to research cocoa more fully over Easter and will let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the tip about cocoa and copha as Baker's choc substitute.  Will add that to my bag of tricks.

I do order things from Amazon every so often.  Hating waiting for overseas deliveries to arrive though - gosh I'm impatient!

Will keep you posted of any good finds (hopefully local).

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »
Thanks Umpa for offer of help with recipe conversion.

My issue is more about sourcing basic products with low or zero carb count.  Very little available here in Australia. 

I have purchased the bakery book and the regular cookbook and the product book.  Great reading!

Have purchased zucchini and hope to make your carrotless carrot cake in next day or so.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
Grandsons favorite! Just follow the directions exactly ;)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »
Oh my goodness, this is a real treat.  My husband even liked it, and that's saying a LOT!  LOL.....  I got a really good organic cocoa powder and watched the carb count.  The container is at home, but is wasn't bad at all.  Treated a few people at work along with the ready whip.  they loved it.  I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »
This is a great recipe for people on the go! ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »
If you feel like a nut... :P Try folding in a handful of chopped walnuts. ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 12:44:34 PM »
I was actually thinking of instead of vanilla extract to put in almond extract and then a few crushed almonds.  Might give this a try this weekend.  How do you think some almond flour...not much...would work?  Maybe 1 tspn?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
Yes.Ereino you are 29 pounds down ,that is awesome!!!! ;D