Author Topic: Lavash Day  (Read 12309 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lavash Day
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »
What a beautiful Baby! When grandson was that age I would put him on the porch with a bowl of pudding :D

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: Lavash Day
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 02:14:43 AM »
He looks so happy

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »
these babies have grandmas named TooSweet and Umpa Lumpa! A childs dream! All babies are happy Jay! :D

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »

I have a freiend who blogged this recipt.  I know I was looking for a lavash recipe, but now know that this is the bread I am going to move forward with.  It is a grain free gluten free flat bread.  Please read and tell me what you think.  She mentions that she used  psyllium fiber powder (when you go to the health food store ask for the one to bake with - this is what gives the flat bread the ability to roll and not crack - the pliability that is needed ...  Umpa, you may want to replace the x-gum with this psyllium and see it works).  I felt bless on this past Friday in reading her blog and finding out this information.  I never once brought it up to her and I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.  The only thing I do differently is toast before consuming, as I find that between the crust, it has a texture I don't care about because of the psyllium - but after it is toasted, it is okay.

This is a direct quote from Annie's blog:

Rolled out and ready to pre-bake

I finally had an opportunity to get back to a project I began last February--making gluten-free flatbread.  My attempt back then turned out a rigid though tasty bread.  More recent attempts gave me a pliable bread for which there are endless possibilities.

Grain-Free Flatbread (for Gluten-Free Wraps)
Many homemade gluten-free, grain-free flatbreads I've found use psyllium husk for pliability.  This recipe contains very few ingredients compared to some of the complex formulas out there.  That makes it easy enough to produce weekly (and freeze after baking if you'd like.)  (Note: If you haven't been eating a lot of fiber lately, don't eat the whole pan at once. Psyllium is very high in fiber, which should be added to the diet gradually with lots of additional water daily.) 

½ c. coconut flour
2 T. psyllium fiber powder
¼ c. coconut oil
1 c. boiling water

Optional:
1/8 t. sea salt
1/8 t. granulated garlic
½ t. Italian seasoning herb blend (or Herbamare seasoning)

Whisk coconut flour and psyllium together in bowl along with salt and herbs, if using. Add coconut oil. Add hot water a little at a time, stirring as you add (will melt coconut oil). Mid well making sure all dry bits are incorporated.

Roll (w/ rolling pin) or pat (w/ moistened spatula) bread out on silicone baking mat or parchment paper-lined jelly roll pan until thin and even. The dough is forgiving, so feel free to move pieces around and repair patches as you go. Bake at 375F for 15-20 min. depending on your oven and how thinly you've rolled the bread. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool to room temp. before slicing/eating.  (Note:  It's better to err on the side of baking less as overdoing it will make a crispy, fall apart wrap.)"

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
You can also use other things for fun in the flat bread recipe like chia seed, golden flax seed, ground poopake mushroom, nutitional yeast, ---- got nuts - get creative. 

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
I meant to say poopake mushrooms and have no idea how it came out to read poopcake.....Thanks goodness I re-read  - actually, something went wrong with my system and it threw me out - so in getting back in I re-read and felt somewhat embarrassed - so my apologies to all. 

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
poopake mushrooms when I type it is coming out twice now as poocake.  How come?  maybe the system thinks i am swearing and bleeps it out?????  shi_ake mushroome.

shawn116

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
Yep it's the swear checker... ;D ;D ;D   It's kinda funny when it happens

It's funny you posted a recipe with the psyllium fiber powder.  I had been reading about using it in recipes and how it behaves.  I purchased some about a week ago but haven't had the time to give it a go yet.  I understand that it makes all the difference in the pliability of the wraps.  

Here is one that I had book marked to give a try http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2012/02/quesadillas.html  Or this one http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/mahi-mahi-fish-tacos.html  As you can see it is very close to the one you posted.  I also found another one that is almost word for word the same as you posted.  I'm convinced enough to try anyway...haha  Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is much difference between a lavash wrap and a tortilla other than the thickness.  I was thinking we could control that when we roll them out.  

I want to try using a combo of flours to see how it comes out....flax, coconut, almond meal...etc...maybe add in some sesame seeds to make it more of a whole gain feel.    

I bought the whole psyllium husks and plan to grind it to powder myself.    I apologize for taking so long to work this recipe out...I've thrown out quite a bit of blunders and collected plenty of cracker material...Haha   It can get expensive with all the ingredients when they don't work out.  I think I'm getting close though  ;) ;)  I don't want to post a recipe that I wouldn't use myself and if it doesn't taste good to me it's not worth it.    I'll report back soon on what I come up with.  Please let us know how your recipe comes out as well   ;) :D  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:24:24 PM by TooSweet »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »
Poopake???  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »
I tried the recipe again last evening and added the sesame seeds and golden flaxseed and the flavor is really nice.  You can roll out the dough as thickly or as thinly as you want...so TooSweet, you are correct.  This recipe can be used as a lavash or tortilla.  Although, I much prefer it as a lavash (flatbread).  I rolled it out and once done, cut it lenghwise once in the middle, and then width wise cut in four so I had eight nice size square pieces.  The froze them.  Took them to work and toasted one and put phliadelphia cream chees and turkey bacon open face.  It was wonderful.  The sesame seeds and golden flaxseed make a nice difference.  We were thinking the same on this one.  I am happy with the results, so you all can relax now.  LOL!  Love you all and thanks for your support.

shawn116

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
I'm so glad it worked out for you  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 10:10:54 AM »
Interesting ,gotta try this :) Good  job Enreino ;)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
Thanks Umpa.  I just posted a no grain/no sugar pizza crust dough recipe.  I haven't tried it yet.  Sometime this week or weekend will give it a go.  The pizza sauce is our own canned sauce - no sugar - think hubby used xylitol.  So I am good with the sauce end of it!  Hope you are all doing well. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »
All is great ! Just spent 2 weeks with my parents.Had a great time. :)