Author Topic: Not losing  (Read 5595 times)

just for me

• View Profile
Not losing
« on: September 10, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »
I was encouraged to get the book Fat to Skinny by my sister in law who swears by this book and has been losing weight. So I did and have read it. I have been on this for one week and have been really good about following my low carbs. At times find it hard to eat a lot of carbs since I got rid of pastas, rice and breads. I have not lost any pounds. I have been very diligent and reading labels. I dont get it. I am getting discouraged. I would love to see something .....does anyone have any advice. My sister in law who lives out of state from me...we keep playing phone tag. Need some advice.

MommaB

• View Profile
Re: Not losing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
Let me start by welcoming you to the FTS forum!! We are a great big family and we love to help each other out! I feel confident that you will get lots of support in this!

My first suggestion is that you post what you have eaten today!!! Everything that you put into your mouth should be listed, including how much water you drink! (Include the carb count for the foods if you can!)

That will give us something to go by!! Water is VERY important and making sure there are no "hidden" carbs in what you are eating!! Portion sizes are also very important!! You can eat too much of something that's 0 carbs, and not lose weight because the portions are just too great! So pay attention to that too!!

I don't know if this helps at all, but it's a place to start!!!
Good luck and I look forward to hearing back from you!!  :D
MommaB

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:36:49 PM »
Hi Just for me  :)  Welcome to the forum. 

I agree MommaB is right on here.  It would be great if you could post your menus for us to check out.  Don't leave anything out, especially how things are prepared and with what (if you are making your own recipes) other wise what the package says.   Please include amounts (brands would be helpful even) and net carb counts that you are coming up with.   You know...... most of the time it is the little things that slip by us that make the difference.  Things like splenda packets, most folks don't realize that the packets should be counted as 1 carb.  The splenda by the cup is actually 24 carbs per cup  :o  Sauces and spices, sweeteners, some products that have deceptive labels etc.... carb creep is something that gets even the best of us from time to time.   Hang in there......We are all here to help each other.    ;)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »
Hi just for me - Welcome to the forum.  It can get all a bit confusing to begin with, but the great thing is that there is always someone here to answer a question no matter how trivial you may think it is just to get it clear in your head.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:58:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum, just for me.  We'll jump right in to help when we can.  Are you taking any medications?  That can be a factor, too.

Someone already mentioned water.  Make sure you get enough sleep, too.  It's an important part of weight loss and general good health. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
Welcome to the Family!! You've received the proper advice, please list exactly what you eat and drink including quantity, don't leave anything out...we'll find the culprit :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, just for me!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

You're gonna love the great support you'll get here!

I hope we can solve your "stall out" problem quickly.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

just for me

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
Thank you everyone for the welcoming to the forum. Ok So I have been doing this for over a week.
My breakfast consists of a cup of coffee, with 1 Tbsp coffee creamer ( 5g) 1 pkt sweet and low (1g), 2 eggs scrambled with bacon bits and 2 brown and serve sausages, a small handful of shredded cheese and chopped up mushrooms, gr. pepper and onions. About 2 heaping Tbls.

Lunch: salad with 1/2 breast of grilled chicken, usually 5 pitted greek olives and feta cheese. approx. 2 Tbls.
 Seven seas pkt dsg made with balsalmic vinegar and olive oil.
Snack: Atkins bar 2 carbs

Dinner: Some kind of meat with no sauce grilled. Steamed cauliflower sprinkled with olive oil and lemon juice.

Snack: Diabetic candy 3 pieces for 2 carbs. Usually have 6

Water not a problem I carry water all day with me and we have Culligan water in the kitchen. Love a cold glass of water.

OK folks this is my usual day. Lunch I sometimes mix up with a wrap 3 Carbs, lettice and some kind of cold cut.

Any advice will help. I know I am not eating 20 carbs per day this could be my problem.

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 12:57:18 AM »
Hi just for me  :)  Here are some of my thoughts on what you posted....

The first thing that jumps out at me here is the Atkins bars and the diabetic candy.  If you are having a stall the sugar substitutes are the first that should go.  I hate to say it but several of the Atkins bars will spike my sugar which leads me to doubt some of their labels.  Just my opinion though.

My breakfast consists of a cup of coffee,
with 1 Tbsp coffee creamer ( 5g) (what kind of creamer are you using? How many carbs? You might enjoy heavy whipping cream in your coffee that is 0 carbs)
1 pkt sweet and low (1g),
2 eggs scrambled with bacon bits and
2 brown and serve sausages,
a small handful of shredded cheese (If you shred your own it will have 0 carbs as compared to .5 per serving with the pre-shredded)  
and chopped up mushrooms, gr. pepper and onions. About 2 heaping Tbls.  (If you are guessing you are going to have carb creep for sure.  You really need to be more precise with your measurements so that you know exactly what you are taking in.  Don't get me wrong there isn't anything wrong with having this...just be careful carb creep can get out of hand quickly.  If it were me I would drop the higher carb onions though until I got things going again)

Lunch: salad (what is in this salad and how much? What is the carb count you came up with? )
with 1/2 breast of grilled chicken, usually 5 pitted greek olives and feta cheese.
approx. 2 Tbls. (You don't want to approximate) Seven seas pkt dsg made with balsamic vinegar (I'm wondering how many carbs are in your balsamic?  Some are very high.  I'm like you, I like the seven seas only I mix mine with Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar, it's 0 carb  ) and olive oil.
Snack: Atkins bar 2 carbs (Try some sugar free jello or a serving of almonds, pork rinds, cheese stick, celery, cold cuts..etc...)

Dinner: Some kind of meat with no sauce grilled. Steamed cauliflower sprinkled with olive oil and lemon juice.  (Yumm!  :D )

Snack: Diabetic candy 3 pieces for 2 carbs. Usually have 6 (I would cut these out until you see your scale moving again)

When I first started with FTS and I needed to snack, (which seemed like a lot until I got through detox  ;D ) I tried to stay with anything that was 0 carbs as much as possible.  I know, I know... the candy is usually 0 carb as well, but remember the sweets can stall you and keep in mind to much of a good thing isn't always so good. Portion control is very important as well.   One last thing...I notice that you are doing the 3 meal and 2 snack kinda thing.  You should be only eating when you are truly hungry.  I bet if you took a poll on here most of us get in two meals and maybe a snack.  Some days I even just do two snacks and only one meal.  Also you might want to try the 15 minute rule.  Make a plate and only eat half of it....wait 15 minutes and if you are still hungry eat some more.  More times than not you will find you can just put the other half away.  If you could just give us a little more info on the measurements and carb counts it will be easier for us to help.  I hope these tips do help though...and I haven't confused you too terribly much with my rambling HAHA  ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:18:12 AM by TooSweet »

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »
Just For Me, you've received great advice from TooSweet, she's right on the money, welcome to the family :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:57 AM »
Welcome Just for me!  :) I am umpa,dougs wife if I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Enjoy the forum you are gonna do great! ;)

Ann B

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 03:17:39 AM »
Hi and Welcome Just For Me,

Great name. Yes, this Fat to Skinny new life is just for you. Be patient. Eat real food when you are hungry. It's early yet and your body is still adjusting to be a fat burning machine.

It doesn't take many hidden carbs to slow things down, but the body also has a lot more to do than just burn excess fat. It will also reduce the tissue surrounding that fat internally and shrink the skin....ALL OVER THE BODY.  Some of us have a very low carb tolerance....especially when we have all that excess fat to release first....and as you read, Doug discovered he still has a very low carb tolerance.

Many of us may also discover this once all the excess fat is released...but will have plenty of experience finding low to no carb foods that truly satisfy way beyond any indigestion causing high carb flour and/or sugar combo.

I find I have averaged 6 pounds per month loss since starting in early April and it took a couple weeks before the scale budged much. However I don't always lose 6 pounds each month. Some less and sometimes more.  AND I will see a low scale reading and then it will bound up 5 pounds and stay there for a week or so and then drop back down and lower with inches lost as well.

Overall a steady easy loss of excess size/weight....and no exercise program. When I have the energy, I naturally move more.  When I don't, I don't fuss, I just go with the flow...like my body has enough going on internally, it doesn't need extra energy expended to slow whatever it has planned to do.

I have discovered, a B-Complex vitamin tablet will curb/stop false carb cravings.  And yet, when thoughts of desiring carb sweets come to me, this lets me know I need to stop and eat...and choose wisely...a real food protein and a fat.  Because true hunger is so much quieter than it used to be when high carb foods ruled my life.

All the best,
Ann B

just for me

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »
Ok I will make sure I write down everything for the next week every bite and not approximate. Many days I do not eat 20 carbs. Could this be a problem? I also have a lot of stress in my life right now and know being a nurse this also hinders my success. I do drink a lot of water daily as I am not a milk drinker and juices are out of the question. I weighed this am 1st thing and think I have lost 2-3 pounds will know better tomorrow am. Tomorrow will be three weeks following the plan. I will stay away from the diabetic candies. I usually only have 1 Atkins meal every couple of days or so. Yesterday was the olny day I felt actually hungry for snacking. I do take a daily vitamin so that is covered. We will see what happens this week. I will be out town next weekend and am already planning what is safe to eat when we play cards etc that is when the snacking could kill you. So I am getting prepared what I can bring with me. Thanks for all the advice....I will check in mid week and let you know how it is going... thanks.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Hi, just for me! :)

It's amazing how many carbs can sneak into our mouths without our knowledge.
You will find that writing down everything you eat BEFORE you eat it a HUGE help!

As an example, balsamic vinegar... Shawn is right!
Check it out here; http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/279

Another is those Atkins meals.
I wonder how many of them under-report carb content? ::)
This practice is not unusual with prepackaged foods.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!