Author Topic: Question for Doug re: Saskatoons  (Read 3180 times)

Rena

Re: Question for Doug re: Saskatoons
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
I'm the same way about getting that picture, Umpa. We've only seen black bears in our yard since moving here, but grizzlies do frequent the area surrounding us. We've been told they'll come around if the food supply isn't good elsewhere. We've had black bears on our deck looking in the house windows. It's pretty freaky, but I love seeing them.

Last September Rick was out of town and I was home and kept hearing ravens. I mean, tons and tons of ravens. I knew there had to be a kill or something nearby. It went on for a few days and I finally couldn't stand it so I went to look. I took bear spray with me, of course. I looked and looked, but couldn't find anything although the ravens were all over and going nuts. I finally gave up and stopped to take a picture of a flower. When I looked up, I realized I was standing less than 5' from a deer kill. I had that sinking feeling of, "You're in the hell of the wrong place!" I booked it out of there and was scanning the area for bears. But the sad reality was I wasn't even thinking about mountain lions. And that's more than likely what killed the deer. It's funny how I'm always looking for those dark splotches of black and brown for bears, but totally forget about the cats.

It's a wild, wild world!  :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »
I gotta tell ya I love it though! ;D What is bear spray?

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 10:07:45 PM »
This is why I love this forum....  I have never heard of a saskatoon.  Pretty sure I've never eaten one! 

Hear in the northeast, we don't have bears or wild cats (although, the news has had a few black bear sightings this week in the western part of the state).  Althought, nothing like what you see in Montana!

Your neck of the woods sounds beautiful (black bears, grizzly bears and all!)  I've never been out west...never been west of of New England for that matter.   ::)

I'm glad I have a friend on the other side of the country!

Theresa

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

Rena

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 11:40:35 PM »
What is bear spray?

Actually, I get asked this A LOT and most people think I'm joking. Bear spray is a super high concentrate of pepper spray. It's more potent than what law enforcement uses and probably closer to military strength. You don't go backcountry camping or even hiking without it in grizzly terrority. Here's the link to Counter Assault, which is the best known brand and made right here where I live. This is the same brand Jack Hannah used last year when he had a grizzly encounter in Glacier NP. He lives just down the road from me when he's not at his zoo in Ohio. And oh, I see they've added a video with him. Cool! I'll have to watch that.  

http://counterassault.com/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »
I am gonna have to take a trip out there! It sounds beautiful! I don't like taking a pistol backpacking but I will take pepper spray. :) Very cool Rena