Author Topic: Noob here, read the book and have a few questions...  (Read 12654 times)

BettyBatter

• View Profile
Re: Noob here, read the book and have a few questions...
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
Alicia, those tortillas are good... and that's commentary from someone who makes them from scratch 2x a week! I was expecting rubbery awfulness but was pleasantly surprised. I need to figure out what xylitol is and try it? I put a few grains of splenda in my coffee this morning and I didn't recoil in horror! Baby steps. ;) Friday night is pizza night here... I make it so watching it come together/smelling it will be torturous... but I bought shallots and will pick the basil from out back to try your tortilla pizza. I'm so sick of feeling miserable, I'm motivated! :D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 12:28:25 PM »
Betty,
Be careful with xylitol.  It was the baking sweetener of choice for a while but if you have a choice, sucralose, the ingredient in Splenda, is really the best bet because of the "side effects" of the category of sweeteners that are "sugar alcohols."  They have a digestive impact and most people have to be very careful about how much they indulge. 

Powdered Splenda has carbs because they add fillers to make in pour and measure like sugar.  Doug and Umpa developed a liquid form of sucralose that is called FTS Zero and that we call Zero here on the forum.

BettyBatter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Andrea! I'll have to check out the Zero. So far I find Splenda the least offensive of the bunch, but I'm still trying things out. I want to like Stevia, I just can't. :(

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 08:42:45 PM »
Hi Betty and welcome to the forum!   You are going to love all the support you find here.  You will do GREAT!  :)

AliciaInTX

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »
Hey lady! Hope day three is going well! :)

BettyBatter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »
Thanks for checking in on me! :D

I'm hangin' in there... feel really out of whack. Not sure if it's sugar fallout, reaction to artificial sweeteners or that my rx is wrong on my new glasses. Maybe all three? ;) I don't feel hungry really, I'm eating plenty... I just feel headachy, shaky and like my heart is racing a bit. Funky! Last night I went to a Vietnamese place for dinner (Pho Viet over by Dell, yum!)... I got the vermicelli bowl minus the vermicelli, so just the grilled lemongrass beef and some veggies. That's one that that seems like it's a wee bit lacking in this plan, veggies (even low carb). Once I get my bearings a bit more I may add more leafy green stuff in for good measure/fiber. That'll push my carb count up a bit, but I'd probably be hard pressed to find someone to tell me that leafy green things are bad for me. :) Besides, even if I ate according to FTS and added a giant salad every day, it would be a million times better than I was eating!

Pizza night tonight! I have a little variation I'm going to try on your pizza... if it's good I'll pass along the recipe! :)

BettyBatter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »
ALICIA!!!  :o

OMG, I just made the best damn pizza 'sauce' I've ever tasted. Well... ok, I haven't actually assembled one with it, that'll be dinner... but I tasted it on its own and it's so ridiculously good. It's a bit labor intensive on the front end, but this size batch will go a long way and it'll keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.... or it'll also keep like I do with homemade pesto: portion it out into an ice cube tray and freeze. When solid, pop them out and put them in a freezer bag to store. Thaws quickly when you need it.

So, here it is....

2 Tbsp. finely chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh oregano
1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes (or less if you prefer, this is kinda spicy)
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
garlic cloves... I used about six, but I really like garlic. Adjust to suit your taste.
Several glugs of olive oil (I bought the unfiltered stuff from Sicily, on sale at HEB, so good!)

Heat olive oil in small pan, press garlic (or finely mince if you haven't had enough chopping yet) into hot oil, turn off the heat... you just want the garlic aromatic, if it browns it's nasty. Once the smell of garlic permeates your being, toss in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. WHOA!! Let it sit for a bit to cool, the flavors will merge with the oil and you will have the best tasting stuff right there in front of you. Pop it in a glass jar and chill until ready to use (your garlic should be cooked enough to avoid any of those bad things that happen when garlic sits in oil at room temp... but still, keep it in the fridge to be safe). I'm going to prep the tortillas like you mentioned... crisp them up in some oil, then top with this... some motz, fresh parm, maybe some chopped pepperoni. I'm drooling just thinking about it. My house smells so good!

If you try it/like it let me know... I'll post it in the recipe section. Figured I should get a second opinion first. I would guess the carbs may run in the 1ish maybe 2 tops... you'll use it pretty sparingly and the carbs in herbs are negligible.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:24:45 PM by BettyBatter »

shawn116

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
Wow this sounds really yummy Betty!!   I think I'll give this a try for sure  :)

Just so you know 1 clove of garlic should be counted as 1 carb each.  Also the other ingredient do have carbs....they are just small.  They could add up quickly in a recipe though if you aren't carefull.   This is a great choice to use because the amount that you would use for a pizza is so small the carb count would be small as well.  Thanks so much for sharing  ;D 

Here is a link so that you can check your carb counts:  http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ 

BettyBatter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
Thanks for the link! Yes, you'd use a very small amount of this (or nobody would want to be around you!)... maybe a teaspoon per 6" low carb tortilla? This recipe made about a half cup, which would be about 24 servings.

shawn116

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
For me the more garlic the better!!  LOL   The trick is to feed everyone around you the same thing then they can't tell if it is you or them  ;)  ;D ;D ;D 

BettyBatter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 05:38:06 PM »
Exactly! I'll be using it to brush the crust on the pizza I'm making for the fam.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 09:50:28 AM »
I love pesto as pizza sauce! Cilantro also makes a great pesto!You should try dougs italian soup!Garlic is also a Superfood like Kale.You get alot of nutrition.Don't forget the veggies.It takes about two weeks to detox and then you will feel like a million bucks. Detoxing from sugar is no different than quiting smoking,drugs or alcohol.Once you are through detox you will know Betty because your energy level will go through the roof ;)

BettyBatter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »
Oh I love cilantro, especially cilantro pesto! I already feel a bit better today... less shaky which is good! I'll check out the Italian soup recipe... I love soups and stews in the cooler (it's rarely cold here!) months. :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
...TooSweet! I'm so excited to have hit my goal, so I can allow myself to start indulging in some FTS-friendly goodies. This looks awesome! ...
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D HOORAY, ALICIA!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Just add them a little at a time to find that "sweet spot" that works for you! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
Great pizza sauce recipe, Betty!!! :) :) :) :)

My wife can't do tomatoes... But, she LOVES garlic!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
This should be a real pleas-er!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!