Author Topic: Fell of the Wagon  (Read 4644 times)

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
Fell of the Wagon
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:41:37 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm ashamed to say I started with good intentions, BUT fell by the wayside!

Now you could say the rubber meets the road...have felt so tired for many months and on my 6 monthly check up I asked the Doc if I might need an Iron supplement.  On looking at my last blood work results, which were good....he thought maybe I needed a sleep study...which I shot down in flames....I wanted blood work done, so he ordered a full panel.  Got a phone call from the Doc's office the next day....he want's further blood work done WHAT!!!!  A1C, Some kind of test re: my Iron and a full Hep Panel plus an appointment with the Diabetic Education dept....Whoa...my blood glucose was 200 and my cholesterol was sky high.....SO I dug out my FTS stuff and found the calculation for carbs to sugar...now my pantry is empty, and I have to shop!  I know you can control and often eliminate Diabetes with diet and exercise because I do not want to take pills or god forbid insulin. So my path is set.  This whole mess could have been avoided had I stuck with FTS in the first place.  I guess this is Mother Natures way of giving me a wake up call to get my lifestyle changes in place before it's too late.

So my question is how much sugar is allowed per day?  Is it 5 teaspoons tops?

My FTS Fast and Easy must have been lent out, I have all the other books, but that is MIA. And I am sure the answer to the above question is in that book.

So give me a kick in the butt guys and send me on my way!  :'(

Renee`

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fell of the Wagon
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »
Wow! Time to get in control ;) 20 carbs per day.Read the book again and start today.You can do it and we can help get your health under control :)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »
That's okay. I fell off the way a few times, went right back on. After a year, I am so glad I didn't give up!

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »
Well, I've found the main book on my hard drive and spent the afternoon reading it again. I had 2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon for my breakfast and a spinach salad with tuna, diced tomato, cheese, some sugar free pickles slices, and a tiny amount of blue cheese dressing followed by 1/2 cup blackberries with a spritz of Reddi Whip on top.

For supper I'm having a very lean beef stir fry, with peppers, diced tomato, green beans and cauliflower.

I've swapped out powdered creamer with real cream for my coffee.

Going to stick with it this time...my health is a very real motivator.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »
Good for you! You ate great! Keep going, we are all here for you!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:22:49 AM »
Welcome renee - doesn't matter how many times you fall off, as long as you climb right back on the wagon.  Without good health you/we are in for a rough ride.

I work in an aged care facility and it is amazing how many drugs the elderly are on, and how many have diabetes.  A fair amount of the day is spent on taking blood sugar levels and policing dietary needs.

Unfortunately the planned menus are not what you would class as stellar.  I often wonder what will happen when the next generation comes through with their varied likes/dislikes, eg vegetarian, peanut and gluten allergies, lo-carb.  Those that are health conscious and those that have lived on fast foods.  The chefs/dieticians will go crazy as they will (supposedly) have to cater for individual needs - as the facilities are supposed to be classed as their home.

Make yourself at home renee and post often so we can get to know you.

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
Thanks guys....I really appreciate your input.

I went online last night and bought the New & Revised hardback version of Fat to Skinny....can't carry my laptop everywhere when I want to shop lol....

If my Doc decides he wants me to see the Diabetic Education Dept...I want to have that book tucked under my arm when I go....I know they will mean well, but as I am getting into the FTS lifestyle I do not want a Dietician jumping in and wanting me to eat what she wants me to eat!!!!

Going to visit the vampire again this morning to have some more blood drawn - A1C, plus other stuff,so we'll see what that shows us.

I'm going to try and schedule any appointment with them for a few weeks down the road to give me a chance to really get in the groove of FTS.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »
Hi Renee, if you stick to the program for 30 days your blood profile will completely change. I suggest you speak to your doctor about NOT putting you on any meds for 30 days when you will have a blood profile done again. Welcome back...be strong, your menu looks solid  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »
Just back from having the special blood work the Doc wanted done.... they told me they had referred me to Diabetic Education....that they would call me with an appointment....told her to call them and tell them I wouldn't be able to make an appointment until after June 14th.

Wanted to give FTS a chance to work some magic for me. ;)

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »
.told her to call them and tell them I wouldn't be able to make an appointment until after June 14th.

Wanted to give FTS a chance to work some magic for me.

What a smart idea!!   ;D ;D   You are going to feel so much better with this lifestyle  ;)  Welcome to the forum Renee

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »
Smiling so much about your post because you are so on the right track!

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
Well guys.....I started back on the FTS track on Tues. - 05/14/13 so being curious I hopped on the scale this morning...down 2lbs....about 80 more to go, although not putting an actual figure out there I want to lose.....but being 68 years old I am being realistic...when I feel good about myself can wear the size clothes I think I look good in, and I am off my blood pressure meds I will be happy.

Sorry to say my daughter doesn't believe I will be able to do it.  She says that I can't restrict my carbs like this and stick with it....can't seem to make her understand all carbs aren't created equal...and if I want to use lettuce leaves as my "bread" I will be happy...after reading Doug's book again when I go into the store I now look at food differently.  For instance I look at a loaf of bread and I see a big bowl of sugar...yuck!

And you want to know the really sad part.....I know the Nutritionist at the hospital who does the Diabetic Education and she has to weigh a good 100lbs more than I do!  How can she do a good job if she doesn't practice what she preaches????

Tonight was a planned night out with friends for a Fish Fry...they thought I wouldn't be able to go.....hahaha....Oh, no problem...Baked Fish and Salad for me!

Enough rambling from me....enjoy a wonderful weekend everyone!

One more thing....my daughter doesn't know what a great back up system I have in place with you guys!!!!!  That's my secret weapon.... :)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
Wow, I am amazed at how a dietitian can be so big.
You lost 2 lbs already, that's great!
I am eating the most delicious baked goods and meals from ideas from this forum.
I'm so excited for you Renee!

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
2 lbs   That is awesome!!!   :D   Maybe you can get your daughter to read the FTS book??  She might would understand.  I get the same thing though....folks tell me all the time it's not healthy.  I can't understand why being off all my diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure meds isn't considerably healthier than before FTS.  I eat so much healthier now than I ever did and my blood profile is finally getting to normal range to prove it.  I don't see how not eating pasta, potatoes, rice, starchy veggies,  bread/breading....etc would be considered not healthy ???  It's frustrating to try to explain that to folks.  Pasta has no flavor whatsoever....my zucchini noodles however is very flavorful and vitamin packed.  I always say...the proof is in the pudding  ;)

Stick to your guns....you are doing great!!  ;D ;D

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
TooSweet....

How do you chop and prepare your zucchini noodles..those I would love to try.