Author Topic: Jicama "Apples"  (Read 10662 times)

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
Jicama "Apples"
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »
This is from another site. The recipe calls for Splenda either liquid or granulated. I switched it to Xylitol. Depending on what brand of Xylitol is used the carb values are changed so I'll leave it to your individual calculations.  :D
(Please see note at the bottom)

JICAMA "APPLES"
1 medium jicama, about 1 pound (see comments below) 
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses    
3 tablespoon Xylitol or to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice       
1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste

IMPORTANT: You must plan ahead to make this recipe. The jicama needs to be frozen for at least a couple days before you can turn it into "apples". The freezing step is very important or the jicama will never get soft no matter how long you cook it or at least not within a reasonable time. Freezing causes the jicama to turn quite soft in its raw state.

Peel the jicama and cut into manageable sized chunks. Thinly slice the jicama into pieces about the size of apple slices. It doesn't matter if they're actually shaped like apple slices as long as they're about the right thickness. They should be about 1/8" thick and no thicker than 1/4". Put the sliced jicama into an airtight freezer container and freeze for at least a day or two or until you need them. To use them, you'll need to thaw them in the refrigerator overnight then drain off any liquid.

Put the jicama slices in a microwaveable casserole dish with a lid. Add the remaining ingredients and microwave on HIGH power about 4 minutes. Stir, then continue microwaving and stirring in 4 minute increments until they reach the desired consistency. Probably took about 15-20 minutes to become tender. They will still be slightly crisp and somewhat chewy. The jicama will eventually absorb all the liquid and the finished texture is somewhat like dried apples.  Serve warm or chilled.

Makes about 4 1/4 cup servings

NOTE:  Using liquid splenda the recipe is about 5 net carbs per serving.
I haven't tried it yet, but they looked REALLY good.
If this was used as a condiment instead of a fruit serving you could probably get 8-12 servings and the carb content really drops.

Uses:
The author said they probably would not work in an apple pie. Maybe a bit on a GG crispbread. Serve with pork chops, over low carb ice cream??
Jeremiah 29:11-14

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Jicama "Apples"
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »
This sounds interesting.  Molasses comes from sugar cane, so I wonder what would be a better substitute SF honey or SF Maple syrup? 

This might be a good topping for an idea I had for the Flax Foccoccia Bread.  I was thinking of adding extra xylitol and cinnamon to the recipe since it does have a cake-like texture.  Or I wonder if it would work to stir the "apples" into the batter and bake it like an "apple", cinnamon coffee cake.  I guess I'll have to make a trip over the border to buy some Jicama since I haven't found it in any of my local stores.   

joagain

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:37:07 PM »
Shihtzumom1  I just told my husband when I make my cornbread the full recioe it is almost cake like if I put cinnamon & more sweetner & some pecans ,then make a cream cheese icing I think I would be on to something hav not tried it yet .

Like a coffee cake ,the bread & my cornbread & OMM all have kinda the same taste .

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
can you say apple pie???? ;D Maple syrup reduces thick like molasses.

joagain

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:57:51 PM »
Yes we can

CaliGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:01:39 PM »
This can also be made with chayote!!  :P

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:04:54 PM »
I love chayote! I planted one in my yard one year in florida and I had more then I knew what to do with! :D

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »
Several weeks ago I made Chayote Fried Apples with xylitol, butter, apple pie spice and Torani caramel syrup.  When my store gets more chayotes in, I'm gonna try a chayote crisp.  :)

CaliGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 04:03:32 PM »
I love chayote! I planted one in my yard one year in florida and I had more then I knew what to do with! :D

Growing up my mom had to cook one for each of us otherwise we'd all fight over the seed on the inside!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »
My favorite is just a chayote cooked in a microwave like a baked potatoe until soft and then slice and dress with butter,salt,and sour cream. :)

owensmath

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »
Hmmm... I have 2 dumb questions after reading these posts:
1. You can eat the seed in a chayote?
2. Do you eat the skin after it's been microwaved?

joagain

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
I tried to microwave one and it did not work for me i dont know what i did wrong

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »
We, too, like baked chayote.  I cook like a baked potato - puncture skin, wrap in saran wrap, and nuke for 3-6 min depending on its size.  After its baked, I cut it in half, remove the seed, and dollop sour cream and S/P on each half.  Yes, we eat the skin - haven't had any that had tough or bad tasting skins...

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 07:02:59 AM »
Chayotes have seeds? Is that what Ive been eating? oops.

CaliGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 12:47:05 PM »
1. You can eat the seed in a chayote?

It's best part.  ;)  It softens up but stays kind of crunchy. Excellent with cinnamon and/or nutmeg too! I don't know about microwaving as I've never microwaved a chayote.