Author Topic: Katary Bakery Sunflower Seed Crackers  (Read 39838 times)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Katary Bakery Sunflower Seed Crackers
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2010, 01:21:38 PM »
Hi gang!

I too have found the search for an accurate carb counts for sunflower seeds (and some other items) frustrating due to misleading labels.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The main cause of frustration comes from "type" of measurement.
Some "ounce" measurements are by weight and others are by volume.
As BICEP put it, "A ton of bricks and a ton of feathers is still a ton.".

If you see reference to a "cup" measurement, you know they are referring to volume.
But if you see "oz.", they SHOULD talking about weight with items that are not liquid.
Sadly, there is no guarantee of this with any package label.

This is an inherent flaw in our (United States) system of measurement.
We should have gone to the metric system back in the late 1970s.
With metrics, a gram (weight) is a gram and a liter (volume) is a liter... No confusion!

To deal with this, what I'll do is check a number of different sites to see which carb counts most closely agree, or come close to each other.

Here are a few I check.
Hopefully, they will help some of you guys too!

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition/advanced/

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:00:04 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »
I made these last night..  I have to say I wasn't sure how they would turn out.  A little skeptical you might say.  It reminded me of when I was a kid making mud pies...LOL   ;)   They smelled wonderful cooking and are really good.  If anything I can use them on my salads for a little crunch.  By the way I also sprinkled some land o lakes 3 cheese blend seasoning (0 carbs) on half just to see how that would taste.  Nice flavor  ;D ;D
I just found this seasoning yesterday when I was cruising the store reading labels.... I can only imagine the possibilities.    I will be disappointed if the carb count is not legit ...grrr

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »
Is it like Kraft parmesan ?? Sprinkly?

shawn116

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2011, 09:10:57 AM »
It's like a powder Umpa... kinda like what you would sprinkle on popcorn?  I was looking for something like that because I had the idea of instead of having a sweet meringue cookie why not flavor it with cheese.  You would than have something like a cheese puff with 0 carbs.  I haven't tried that yet though.  I'm not even sure it would work.  It is wonderful on veggies though.  I had it last night on asparagus.  If you want cheese flavor but not the fat.... this is the bomb  ;D  ;D  They had three flavors to choose from:  Three cheese, Parmesan & Herb and Sharp Cheddar.  So far I have only tried the Three Cheese.  Yummy  Maybe I need to post this in the products page.. :)

shawn116

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »
Umpa here is the link for the product itself : http://www.dairyseasoning.com/products/detail.php?id=8&tab=2  I see they also have other flavors like sour cream and onion.  I didn't see anything in the ingredients that would show they are off on carbs.... what do you think?? 

shawn116

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
I just found this on another post...LOL  ::)  I guess I just answered one of my own questions...  ;D ;D  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=675.0  I will have to try the cheeto idea for sure... I will repost when I do

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
There might be a little carbohydrate in a larger serving size but the ingredient list looks pretty clean.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1/2 tsp (1.6g)
Servings Per Container: 53

Amount Per Serving %DV*
Calories 6 
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 184mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 0g 0%
Protein 0g 

Not a significant source of other nutrients.

* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients:
Three Cheese Blend (Cheddar Cheese, Monterey Jack Cheese, Colby Cheese, [Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes]), Salt, Whey, Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid, Annatto and Turmeric Extractives, Onion, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Garlic, Disodium Phosphate. Silicon Dioxide (to prevent caking).
Contains: Milk

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2011, 05:57:25 PM »
Thanks Doug!  I think a little is all you need with this stuff anyway.  Pretty good.  :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »
Great idea for cheese puffs. ;) Very gently fold it in the meringue.That way you will get a  better flavor than just sprinkling on top.Cool product :)

shawn116

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »
Thanks Umpa

I was wondering if I should fold it in or mix it in like you would the vanilla  LOL  I bet the sharp Cheddar would work great for this....hmmm   I need time to open my test kitchen... ;D ;D ;D 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2011, 09:04:01 AM »
Like you I love to cook toosweet! I test every recipe before I post them.The Bakery Book took me a year to write,but I was tired of buying mixes.I missed baking from scratch. In North Carolina doug turned my kitchen into a set where he films his cooking videos! ;)

shawn116

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
I have watched his videos.  They are wonderful!!  So helpful to watch someone making the recipes.  And I love the cook books Umpa you guys did a great job.  I much prefer making my own things to.  I know that way what is going in them.  I do wish all products had a universal carb count though...LOL  It gets a little confusing.  Just for an example some folks on here say their eggs are 0, some almond flour is 6 and some 4, and I have yet to find a heavy cream that is 0  ??? ???  I spent three hours in the store the other day just reading labels...LOL  I know I will get it eventually but I'm still on a learning curve  ;D ;D ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
... I do wish all products had a universal carb count though...LOL  It gets a little confusing.  Just for an example some folks on here say their eggs are 0, some almond flour is 6 and some 4, and I have yet to find a heavy cream that is 0  ??? ???  I spent three hours in the store the other day just reading labels...LOL  I know I will get it eventually but I'm still on a learning curve  ;D ;D ;D

Hi TooSweet! :)

Reading labels is a mandatory part of this lifestyle.
There are instances where a product that you've used many times, may be changed and the carbs may be higher.
This is why we NEVER take those labels for granted!

After a while, it will be second nature for you and quite easy.
It takes me 3 to 5 seconds to read a label and it's ingredients list to make a judgment about the product and it's carb content.
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »
It gets a little confusing.  Just for an example some folks on here say their eggs are 0, some almond flour is 6 and some 4, and I have yet to find a heavy cream that is 0  ??? ???  I spent three hours in the store the other day just reading labels...LOL  I know I will get it eventually but I'm still on a learning curve  ;D ;D ;D

We spend a lot more time in the store now reading labels, too. It gets easier. As for the eggs, if they're <.5 carbs they're not required to list them. I use FatSecret to add up all my carbs, calories, fibre, fat, etc. It has a pretty good database of popular foods. For egg whites it says .34 so I've started tossing the yolk out when I can to cut back. As for the almond flour -- I think Umpa uses the NOW brand because it has less carbs than the others. I don't understand how all that works and why one could have 4 carbs and other just one or two. Meadow Gold Heavy Whipping Cream states 0 carbs.

shawn116

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
Thanks for the good advise guys.... I know I will get the hang of it soon.  In the mean time I should plan on longer trips to the store  ;) LOL