Author Topic: Cream Beef Gravy  (Read 19005 times)

beebs

• View Profile
Cream Beef Gravy
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:47:19 PM »
Brown Hamburger Remove From skillet. Put butter in skillet salt xantham gum and thicken it add heavy cream to taste put hamburger back in and Voila. Carb free Ohh and dont use more than a tsp of xantham gum unless you want glue gravy!  ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Cream Beef Gravy
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »
Hey beebs!  :)

Hamburger comes in different fat percentages.
From very lean (97% lean with little liquid when cooked) to the cheaper stuff (I think 15% fat).
Which one do you use?

I can't imagine gravy that's mostly melted beef fat.
It could mess with blood triglycerides (i.e. fat in the blood). That's why Doug recommends using lean cuts of meat.
Some fat is OK... But too much of anything is not good.

I imagine if you could use lean hamburger but keep it covered during cooking to retain liquid content might work.
Maybe even adding a little beef bullion might help stretch it.
What you do today is what matters!

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
It was ground chuck. My mum drained all the grease off when she removed it from the skillet. I am unable to cook gravy thankfully she was willing. It was SO good!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
Thanks Beebs!  :) :) :)

Ground chuck is fatty but also loaded with juices.

I have a fat separator (looks like a measuring cup with drain tube coming from bottom) to separate the good juices from the fat.

Next time I fry up some chuck burger, I will make up some cream gravy and freeze it.
It should be great with beef roasts and other beef dishes!

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »
It was fantastic. I absolutely loved it. Was so thrilled to have gravy. w00t!!!

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 06:56:28 AM »
This sounds good beebs.  I made Swedish Meatballs last night for Doug.  He was craving them.  I always just use ground beef (80/20), roll it in balls and bake them in the oven till brown and all the fat comes out.  The gravy was sour cream, heavy cream and enough alfredo sauce to thicken but not give the cheesy taste.  Seasoned it up with nutmeg, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, black pepper and salt, all to taste.  Added the meatballs and stirred them around till they were coated and there were little bits of beef in the gravy...BAM... it was so good!  Doug was HAPPY!  ;D

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:11:15 AM »
Yup I was totally craving gravy! It is so nice to have things like cornbread and gravy but they wont make me fat!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »
How about sausage gravy????? :o.............over biscuits........heheehehe

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »
Well beebs cant make biscuits.....or gravy so it was beef gravy and scrambled eggs this morn!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 01:47:50 PM »
This sounds good beebs.  I made Swedish Meatballs last night for Doug.  He was craving them.  I always just use ground beef (80/20), roll it in balls and bake them in the oven till brown and all the fat comes out.  The gravy was sour cream, heavy cream and enough alfredo sauce to thicken but not give the cheesy taste.  Seasoned it up with nutmeg, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, black pepper and salt, all to taste.  Added the meatballs and stirred them around till they were coated and there were little bits of beef in the gravy...BAM... it was so good!  Doug was HAPPY!  ;D

Mmmmmmm!... Swedish Meatballs!!! Doug is such a lucky man! :) :) :)

I am a Swedish Meatball nut and would like try this out next week.
Would you provide the approximate amounts of each ingredient?

Thanks soooo much!

joagain

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 03:08:44 PM »
I am with you mouseissue thats sounds good we need paulas recipe !

paulachappell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 07:27:22 PM »
Ok, I will try to write up the recipe with the nutritionals to go with it and post for you my friends. I'm a cook as you go kind of person but I think I can come pretty close on paper.  They really were good, didn't even miss the rice or noodles. ;D

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »
Ok, I will try to write up the recipe with the nutritionals to go with it and post for you my friends. I'm a cook as you go kind of person but I think I can come pretty close on paper.  They really were good, didn't even miss the rice or noodles. ;D

If you get a pasta urge (I do sometimes), just use Shirataki Noodles.
The Miracle Noodle type (0 carb glucomannan from the konjac plant).
Not the tofu type which adds tofu flavor and carbs.
They take on the flavor of any sauce you use on them.

Before cooking, cut them with scissors or knife to desired length.
Rinse them thoroughly in a colander to get rid of the faint fishy smell from the packing liquid.
Then boil them in lightly salted water for a couple of minutes to desired tenderness and serve.
You can eat them uncooked but their too chewy and rubbery for my taste.

I found them at my local grocers.
You can also get them cheap online at http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/category/shirataki-noodles
They are the same as Miracle Noodles but less pricey ($1.48 for 7 oz. or $2.79 for 16 oz. packages).

paulachappell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
Yes, we are big fans of the shiritake noodles.  Just didn't happen to have any on hand ;D

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 01:36:48 PM »
Thanks for the tip Mouseissue - I just spent $10.00 for a 2 package sample of Miracle Noodles! Yikes! This is a much better deal. I see the Asian Grocer has has Konnyaku yam cakes too. Have you and your wife tried them? I wonder if they can be sliced and layered to make lasagna?
Jeremiah 29:11-14