Author Topic: SF Chocolate Peppermints  (Read 8960 times)

Rena

SF Chocolate Peppermints
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:51 PM »
http://renajjones.blogspot.com/2011/12/sf-chocolate-peppermints.html

SUGAR-FREE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINTS

4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
3/4 cup Xylitol
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
sugar-free candy cane, crushed

Place sugar-free candy cane (or sugar-free Starlight mints) into a plastic baggie, and crush with a rolling pin or wooden spoon. In a double boiler, melt chocolate over medium heat until smooth. Stir in Xylitol and mix well. Add heavy whipping cream, and stir until chocolate is smooth. Remove from heat. Add peppermint extract to the mixture. Drop by teaspoon into mini baking cups. Top with crushed candy cane. Refrigerate two hours or until set. Keep refrigerated for best results. Makes about 22-24 candies.

I calculated these about 55 calories and 0.7 net carbs, but that is without the SF candy cane pieces on top. I used a pretty small SF candy cane, so it couldn't have added too much more. These turned out really good and would be perfect with a cup of SF hot cocoa.

shawn116

Re: SF Chocolate Peppermints
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
Oh Yumm!!   Two of my favorite things...  Nice recipe  ;)

joagain

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 04:49:54 AM »
sounds very good rena & easy  ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »
Nice recipe Rena, I love peppermint and chocolate combined...good Christmas recipe.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »
really great recipe Rena :)

Rena

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I could have probably cut the Xylitol to 1/2 and still had the same results.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
Sounds delightful, Rena! :) :) :)

Chocolate and peppermint are flavors of Christmas... YUM!!!
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »
I made these and they are really good.... coming from me though I love anything with peppermint and chocolate.  I really like that I can make something that won't mess with my tummy as bad as the store bought stuff  :P :P  Mine kinda crystallized on me though.  I wonder if maybe I didn't get it hot enough??  It reminds me of fudge when the sugar doesn't melt.  Rena did you have that problem or were yours smooth?  Very rich and tasty though...LOL  You don't need too many of these to satisfy your chocolate sweet tooth!!  I will be making these again  :D

I wonder if you used the 0 carb cocoa powder and food grade cocoa butter if we could cut the carbs even more??  Hmmmm  ::)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 08:23:27 AM »
Dissolve your xylitol in liquid before using it. ;) No crunchy candy.

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
I thought I had done that Umpa...LOL  I'll give it a go again when I'm out of these.  Crunchy or not....it hasn't stopped me from eating them  ;) :D

Rena

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »
How would you dissolve the Xylitol -- in what?

Mine were a little crunchy, but the crushed sf peppermints kind of disguised it. I still haven't figured out a way to make it non-crunchy, as my PB Cups turn out the same way.

Rena

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 12:39:56 AM »
Thanks! Yes, that is very interesting. I don't know much about Xylitol.

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 07:15:16 AM »
I had the same question Rena.  I didn't think I wanted to heat the heavy whipping cream up enough to dissolve the xylitol in.  I wondered if maybe I used the powdered kind in this recipe if that would help.  I have put some through a coffee grinder to use before in another recipe.... that might be the way to go with a first step.  The thing is.... when I tasted it before putting in the fridge it was melted.  I believe it crystallized back after setting up.  I still liked them and you are right the candy disguised the crunch....LOL   ;D

The next time I place an order I'm going to order some cocoa butter to play around with.   I want to see if I can come up with a smooth and creamy 0 carb home made chocolate  ;) ;)

Marty here is an interesting read about xylito and our furry friends  ;)  http://www.xylitol.org/questions-about-xylitol  I never knew that they had a nose spray with it to...LOL  It does make sense though with the killing the bacteria and all.  Also it didn't occur to me that you couldn't use it with yeast.  Interesting  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 10:23:10 AM »
I dissolve it in boiling water or for candy I use butter.It dissolves quickly in a saucepan.It is great for your teeth.I give my dogs a mouthwash that has xylitol in it.It small amounts it won't hurt them,but better be safe than sorry  and not feed them any treats! ;)

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »
That worries me to  :(  My little guy is big for his breed and maybe needs to be on FTS himself  ::) ;D  but I worry that he will get sick  :P

What is it that you use for your pups Umpa?

I wonder if adding extra liquid to melt the xylitol in would make it runny or to soft ? ???
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:23:40 AM by TooSweet »