Author Topic: Update on Me  (Read 3460 times)

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
Update on Me
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:32:12 AM »
Hi, Everyone...!

I'm so sorry I've been out of commission for a while on these forums...  It has been VERY rough lately...  My almost 94-year-old mother-in-law lives with us and has dementia and about 9 weeks ago she had some kind of incident (possibly stroke) where she has gotten MUCH worse.  She goes for days (24 hours even at night) talking to people who aren't there - sometimes VERY loudly - and this is really messing up my sleep and that's messing up my other health problems.  Also, I'm the one here with her every day while my husband is at work, so it's been quite hard on me.

I'm down 65 lbs. total now, but it has really SLOWED down and that's bugging me so badly because I still have so far to go (130 more lbs.) and I don't want it to be THIS sloooowwwwww.  I'm doing okay with my eating most of the time still but at times the stress of this whole situation gets to me and I give in.  Also, people are bringing SO many sweets over for my mother-in-law because that's about all she will eat these days - and watching her eat them and so many being around and me being here alone so much - dang, it's hard!!  And when I'm not giving into "real sweets" and other carbs, I'm craving something sweet or carb-y just to ease this stress and I go for too many of the sugar free candies, bars., etc., just to feel like I'm eating "something" sweet like everyone else in the house is doing...

On the positive side, when I think of how far  I've come since just September when I started this way of eating - and how badly I was doing then - it's amazing to me.  Can't remember if I shared about my A1C - ?  But it was 9.8 in September when I was in the hospital - and last month I tested at 5.6!!!!  That is actually considered "non-diabetic" levels!!  My doctor said she'd never seen anyone do that much that fast and especially being on insulin. I am TRULY hoping to get totally OFF the insulin and hopefully SOON!!!!  I know the more weight comes off, the quicker I'll be off the insulin - which is another reason I'm hoping it will hurry UP already!  Also, I realized I'm now only 35 lbs. away from being able to get a knee replacement - IF I still need one at that point...  but at least I'd have the choice...

Thanks so much for being there, everyone, and I'm going to try to make the time to stay on these forums more even with everything that's going on...  I'm having such feelings of guilt about feeling so selfish with being forced into this position of caretaker when I have so many of my own health problems that WERE getting better and are now getting worse again :(
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Update on Me
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »
Welcome Back Jackie ;D Caring for someone with dementia is tough(I have alot of personal experience) and your feelings are normal.Just take it one day at a time ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »
Oh Jackie you really need a break. Isn't there any kind of resource there like adult day care or home caregiver to give you a break?

Keep eating the FTS way. I've given in like you but kept going. Your amazing A1C results are inspiring, Keep it up!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »
No need for apologies, Jacki... We understand.
I'm praying for you and your family during these trials.

With the stresses you're dealing with, you need to find ways to "escape" and relax even for short amounts of time.

As far as your FTS progress goes, don't let being slow trouble you.
I was one of the slowest losers in our FTS family... But it worked out.

Please let us know if you need anything.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:44:54 PM »
Well done on your loss so far.  Its hard having what is basically a child in adult form 24/7.  I work in aged care and realise how demanding they can be.  Try to see if you can get respite from any of the services you may have available.  Are there any other family that can sit with her while you can take a couple hours off? Hope you can get a break now and then.  Keep up the good work.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
Hang in there Jacki, we're here for you!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »
Thanks, Everyone...!

They have recently called in Hospice so we are getting a little more help now.  However, I'm still the one here all day every day to let them in, answer their questions about how she's doing, get further instructions, deal with the phone calls, etc.  It seems weird, but it's almost more work with so many people coming to the house all the time!  BUT - they also have now set up a volunteer to come once a week for 2 hours to give me a chance to just get out of the house some.  My husband doesn't understand because he said I never left the house anyway before she got down - because of my own illnesses, I'm very limited on my energy and he's right that I used to not go anywhere much.  But it's just KNOWING I can that was so different - so when the volunteer came, I just drove to the nearby park and listened to music and read and felt like a "wild woman" lol!!!  Just driving AWAY from the house right in the middle of the day like that was phenomenally uplifting...

But then like right now - she was up ALL night talking to people she thinks are in the room with her - and she STILL is...  I got ZERO sleep, which makes me SO tired and feeling rotten for at least the whole next day if not longer before I recover...  I feel really badly hoping this is going to be short-term, but I honestly don't know how I can do this much longer. :(
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »
You're still in my prayers, Jacki.

I'm glad you were able to get out of the house and "live" for a couple of hours!
Please take advantage of every opportunity like that... It will give you more strength.

You WILL survive this!... And be a much stronger woman as a result.
Just remember to take this challenge one day at a time!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »
Author=mouseissue:
You WILL survive this!... And be a much stronger woman as a result.
Just remember to take this challenge one day at a time!

I agree with that quote. 

Jackie, we are here for you!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:06:46 PM by o0OSusieO0o »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 08:39:18 AM »
God doesnt give you more than you can handle Jacki.There is a lesson to learn here.I know how tough it is but you will get through this. *HUGZ*

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 08:46:59 AM »
author=umpa:
God doesnt give you more than you can handle Jacki.

I agree Umpa!!

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
Y'all are the best....

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »