Author Topic: Carb. intake for very active kids?  (Read 3901 times)

MommaB

• View Profile
Carb. intake for very active kids?
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
Hey everyone! I have 4 very active (on swim team) kids who are by no means over-weight, but I want them to know what healthy eating is...my quesiton how many net carbs should they eat each day to maintain a healthy weight!?! I know that 20 net carbs is probably too low for them...I just need advice on that, if anyone has any!!

Thanks a bunch! You all are awesome!!!!

joagain

Re: Carb. intake for very active kids?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:52:33 PM »
MommaB my son is 15 and has type 1 Diabetes he has had it now almost 5 years . When he was diagnosed the Nutitionist sent me home with a diabetic diet that was 75 carbs per meal with 3 -15 carb snacks . Which needless to say he gained weight I called the doctor to tell them they said it was the insulin that was making him gain weight. 
 Well over the years I have done plenty of research on Type 1 diabetes and have found that the more carbs you eat = the more insulin you need ,= the more money the drug companys make !!
 So sad but true ,I had read up on low carb diets for type 2 diabetics  and also found a article where a type 1 diabetic was using very little insulin by eating very low carbs . So I started cutting tylers down to 45 a meal and 2 -15 carb snacks and his insulin use went down too
 .That is when I found FTS and realized that it would help me also and it has also helped with Tyler . He is down to anywhere from no carbs per meal to 45 per meal ,he still has to have 2  snacks (1 before supper and 1 before bedtime) .

He has lost 5 lbs and his sugar stays pretty good most of the time ,he splurges everyonce in a while but it is getting less and less he feels better when he eats right just as we do !!!!!!

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »
Thank you so much Jo!! That really helps me a lot!! I really want them to be healthy, but they don't need to lose weight, so this really gives me a number of carbs to go by for them!! I'm so sorry that you had to go through all you did, but your experience has helped and will continue to help me and others as well!   :)

joagain

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »
You are welcome ! Tyler is at a good weight now right after i realized that no one needs to eat 75 carbs a meal he dropped the weight he gained after leaving the hospital . He is now taller then me and healthy and as long as eats healthy as Doug has taught us he wiil keep his sugars under control .
 I think that the older he gets and your kids  also the less carbs the better !!!! Sorry the first post was so long didnt realize till I got thru typing  :D :D :D I like to talk/type

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:57:25 PM »
ha, ha, ha...me too!!!   :D ;D ;) :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »
Your answer is really very simple....if they start to get FAT cut back on the carbs. If they are losing weight and you want them to gain a bit increase the carbs. If they are maintaining healthy weight leave it alone.

You can advise them however about the dangers of SUGAR by having them all read FAT O SKINNY. As you know I wrote it so kids could understand it.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

joagain

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 09:25:43 AM »
Doug you always explain things so short and sweet and easy to understand . I guess I was saying the same but in a very longgggggggg and drawn out way that could leave people confused ! :D :D

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »
I'm not confused Jo!! I really learned a lot from reading your story!! Doug, the kids and I talk about carbs and good food choices ALL THE TIME!!! I know that they get it and know what to do, but I wanted to make sure I had the right numbers in mind for them...if they were to ask me!!!

Thanks sooooo much!!!
 :D 8) :D

Rena

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:05:40 PM »
My boys are aged 12 and 9 and skinny as beanpoles.

It's funny though because every since Rick & I started FTS, the boys are constantly looking at labels of the foods they eat and try to figure out how many carbs there are. They even know to subtract the fiber. I guess you can never start too soon when it comes to teaching kids how to read labels.

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »
hahahaha, Rena, my kids do that too! I took my oldest (13) with me to the store today and he was reading labels, subtracting the fiber and sugar alcohols, if there were any, and telling me if it was too many carb for me!!! It was too funny, but awesome at the same time!!!  8)   ::)