Author Topic: Worst of the Worst recipes! YUCK  (Read 7370 times)

Rena

Re: Worst of the Worst recipes! YUCK
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »
The way I make my OMM isn't as "good" as the others, but since flaxmeal is high in fat, I make mine differently because I'm trying to cut back on fat a little more these days. I don't use butter or cream in mine. Instead, I squirt some "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" into a mug, add 1/4 flaxmeal (usually golden), 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 liquid egg, and add a little water. Then I microwave it for about 2 minutes. Sometimes I'll add sweetener or cinnamon, but it depends on what I'm making it for. Sometimes I eat them like a muffin with Walden Farms spread on top, other times I'm make it as a bread for a sandwich. Between spices and extracts, you can make a lot of variations. I don't eat bread enough to justify making a whole loaf, so this recipe really works for me.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
Marty I have found the best thickener is okra(I also love it) but the xantham gum has to be dissolved in hot water or hot liquid( like broth) before adding just like the gluccoman konjac flour.Just remember a little goes a long way.

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
Thanks maddysmom and Rena I will try this one again.  The spice muffin does sound good and a girl can always enjoy some chocolate! ;)

Rena

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
I found some apple pie spice in my cupboard last night. That would be good in a OMM.

Sorry, this is a Worst of the Worst thread, and I keep coming up with ideas to make things better. ;)

It's funny though, because after reading Doug's book the first time, the sheer idea of Beanit Butter Cookies and Macfoney & Cheese totally grossed me out. Soybean butter? Seriously? Tofu? ME? Hahahahaha! Ironically, those are two recipes I love the most!

joagain

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
Me too rena I have tried & ate more things in the last year ,half of them I never even heard of  LOL taste have changed  for sure
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:51:09 PM by joagain »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
Its amazing how your taste change when the sugar is gone from your system :)

sweeties

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »
I just made a terrible eggplant parm. I tried to fry it in soy flour and pork rinds and it did not stick. It had to much oil. Ugh but I will try again when my corn mix comes in and mix that with the pork rinds. I was brought up so Italian and I bow my head in shame, but I still made hubby eat it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
I make my eggplant parm with no coating.I soften it in water in a skillet.Then i put it in a baking dish,cover with marinara,and cheese and bake till bubbly goodness.I just did a recipe for the new cook book using eggplant to make raviolis.Have you tried dougs italian sausage stew?? :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 08:55:59 AM »
I just made a terrible eggplant parm. I tried to fry it in soy flour and pork rinds and it did not stick. It had to much oil. Ugh but I will try again when my corn mix comes in and mix that with the pork rinds. I was brought up so Italian and I bow my head in shame, but I still made hubby eat it.

Like onion rings sometimes you need to dry coat the eggplant prior to the egg wash. To do this shake the slices in soy flour first creating a light coating on the eggplant. Next egg wash the slice and coat with the fry coating. Also...make sure your oil is up to temp before putting the slices in and don't flip too soon.  ;) I make fries eggplant all he time with a soy/pork rind coating without any problems.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
the man can cook ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 11:19:52 AM »
What you do today is what matters!

sweeties

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 11:29:30 AM »
Sounds good Doug , I will try it. Today I am grilling peppers, zucchini and squash. I also made the risotto and It is great. My daughter and husband is coming for dinner and I have my 2 oldest granddaughters for the night so I will cook London broil, risotto, grilled veggies and they will all love it. Thanks for the tips, I have my off days. I am sort of stuck, my weight is only going down 1lb and staying there. I only lost 7 lbs since I started. Have to look deep at what I am doing wrong. I wont ever give up..... Love this

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 12:23:56 PM »
... I have my off days. I am sort of stuck, my weight is only going down 1lb and staying there. I only lost 7 lbs since I started. Have to look deep at what I am doing wrong. I wont ever give up..... Love this

Hi Sweeties! :)

The first things to eliminate are sources of sugar alcohols (sweeteners).
Sugar alcohols stop a lot of folks' progress.

Also, portion control is VERY important!
Be sure you're only eating when truly hungry and only eat enough to satisfy the hunger and no more.

If you post your meal plans, we will look at them and see if there is anything else you may need to adjust.
Post them here: http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=32.0

And finally, don't forget to drink lots of water.
If you become mildly dehydrated, weight loss can stop as well.
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
You can always post your meal plans and we will help you ;) ;)

Rena

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
I wont ever give up..... Love this

That's a great attitude! :)

I've gotten closer to my goal and a little more comfortable with how I eat. I deliberate set my goal weight at 5 pounds less than where I thought I should be. But what I've found is that when I decide to eat something I normally wouldn't have -- I don't like it. I took a few bites of a chicken sandwich recently with a bun and it really grossed me out. My husband said I was being overly dramatic. Ha! But seriously, it tasted like paste to me. I had to take the bun off. So ... so much for thinking, "Just this once won't hurt me." Sure, it won't hurt, but that doesn't mean it's going to be as good as I thought it was. The same thing happened to me when I took a few bites of tortilla shell from my taco salad. Ack! Paste!

So, I guess my point is (if I have one) is that I never thought I'd really love eating this way, but I do.