Author Topic: Thinking of having Gastric bypass surgery?? READ THIS FIRST!  (Read 49126 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Thinking of having Gastric bypass surgery?? READ THIS FIRST!
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »
Hi Wendy, welcome to the family. I am sooooo against all types of weight loss surgery. When I see the billboards and ads for easy this and easy that it's made to look like your going in to get your teeth cleaned!...makes me very angry. I'm happy for you that you were able to get rid of 125 pounds and I'm sorry some of it has found it's way back to you. You've come to the right place for all the support you need to rid yourself of the added weight naturally.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

owensmath

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 09:03:44 AM »
I actually went to an informational session about gastric bypass about 10 years ago. When I returned, I was still indecisive about it. My dad said, "Why don't you just eat the way they have to eat and NOT have the surgery? If you think you can't eat that way, you shouldn't have the surgery anyway, because you have to eat that way long term to maintain the weight loss." My dad is so smart!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
I actually went to an informational session about gastric bypass about 10 years ago. When I returned, I was still indecisive about it. My dad said, "Why don't you just eat the way they have to eat and NOT have the surgery? If you think you can't eat that way, you shouldn't have the surgery anyway, because you have to eat that way long term to maintain the [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss[/url]." My dad is so smart!

Your dad is very wise, owensmath!

Most wisdom can be found in simplicity itself.
When you forget the hype and look at something for what it is, the truth becomes crystal clear.

Sadly, our society values hype and razzle dazzle.
So few of us "younger" people have wisdom.
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »
Welcome wendyg73! i am umpa,dougs wife.If I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.The problem with the surgery is people don't change their eating habits and gain the weight back.Thats why fat to skinny works for people.We don't REMOVE foods we REPLACE foods.That way you don't add back foods after you lose the weight and gain the weight back.I is a lifestyle change but it will work for you. ;)

mommytilburg2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »
Hi CJ...My name is Rachel and I'm new here. Thanks for posting this!  I have been pressured by quite a few friends that have had gastric bypass or lapband procedures done who think that I should have it done also.  I didn't feel that was the right path for me, but was getting very frustrated at struggling to lose weight (when they were peeling off 6 or 7 lbs. per week) and wondering if I had truely made the right decision to not have surgery....until I discovered the F2S book and read it. I am on day 3 of eating low carb and I LOVE IT!! I'm never hungry, the scale is moving in the right direction, and I don't have the energy/mood swings I used to from the constant overload of sugar. I am hoping tomorrow to be under 200 lbs. for the first time since before I was pregnant with my 2nd son (he's 18 months old).

joagain

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:03 AM »
Hi  Rachel  welcome to FTs I am glad you did not go that route ,The people that have that surgery have to pretty much eat like FTS tells you too anyway so why go through surgery .
I am not sure if CJ is here on the forum anymore but we will all be here for you for any questions you have . Hopefully you will not have bad detox ! But if you do just hold on ,dnot give in to the carbs and in a few days you will feel like a new person ! ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
Welcome to the family, Rachel! :) :) :) :) :) :)

If you ever have a question or concern about the FTS lifestyle, please let us know.
We will help and support you in every way we can.

Tony

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:57 AM »
Welcome Rachel! I look forward to your FAT TO SKINNY journey :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »
Welcome mommytilburg2! You made the correct decision! I don't know anybody that has had this surgery that hasn't gained the weight back.The reason is because they don't change there eating habits.My name is umpa and I am dougs wife.I have a column on the home page called ask umpa where i can help you  convert your favorite foods t fat to skinny friendly.You are giving your kids a great gift,a healthy mom!If I can help you please ask :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 08:53:26 AM »
This story was highlighted on GMA this morning.....very sad  :'( :'(  It makes me so damn angry I could scream  >:( >:(

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/liposuction-tragedy-mothers-death-highlights-dangers-plastic-surgery/story?id=13890319

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
That is so sad! :'(

Most overweight people think of FAT as a "thing" that, although is in the body, it's not thought of as part of the body.
FAT is part of our bodies.
Blood vessels coarse through our body to feed living cells INCLUDING FAT cells.

Whenever a part of the body is cut and removed, there are risks involved.
These risks can range from minor infections to lethal reaction to anesthesia.

No one should EVER take such dangerous risks only for appearance sake.
It's just not worth the gamble!

This is all the more reason for us to let others know about the FTS lifestyle.
This lifestyle saves lives!!!... I know it saved mine! :) :) :)

joagain

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
And you ill pretty much have to eat this way anyway . FTS is the BOMB !

kateybailey

• MSN Messenger - kateybailey@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kateybailey
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kateybailey
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 04:16:07 AM »
Well, I have to say that I really like your thoughts.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
Hi Katey, welcome to the family!  8)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2012, 06:08:43 AM »
CJ -- and Margie (and others who responded. 

Thank you for sharing CJ and Margie -- I agree that gastric bypass is not the wonder cure it has been touted to be.  And I have endured countless family members (well that was ONE -- not countless), but friends, and especially co-workers who have brought me their paperwork and talked to me about having the surgery done -- and they have all gained back their weight.....except for two co-workers who are no longer with us.....

So I have this endocrinologist who PUSHES this surgery on me -- I have been going to him for extreme fatigue and he keeps insisting on two things:  #1 he says I'm depressed and need three kinds of meds to improve (wrong) and #2 he insists I should have the gastric bypass.  I finally told him the last visit I would have the surgery in January 2012 if I haven't lost the weight (I need to lost 148).....

But I will not have the gastric bypass.  I just won't....but I really have to take this weight off.  Your stories -- especially what you shared CJ about it being the low carb eating that took off the weight -- and by the way, I do know about "sugar dumpgin"...that happens to me whenever I drink say a large soda, or large glass of orange juice, etc.  Sugar in food form rarely ever causes that, but my personal physician (now retired) told me a long time ago if I already had a problem with "sugar dumping" that for sure I would have an ever worse problem with that after gastric bypass and she said for me to never consider it.  She also told me she had a patient who had had the gastric bypass and her problems with "sugar dumping" were so bad that she had to sell her car and purchase herself a little motorhome to do all her traveling in because without the motorhome and its ahemmmm ahhh "facilities" the poor woman could not even be able to leave her house!!!

I won't have the surgery -- NO WAY....but that doc keeps pushing it.  And the co-workers, friends, and the brother-in-law who pushed it on me so much during about 8-5 years ago they were all having the surgery????  They don't have anything to say anymore because they have all gained it back...(which I always do feel sad but not judgmental about that -- I'm sorry they are still having to struggle). 

I know they mean well, and hey, probably the endocrinologist means well also, but there has to be a better way, and when I put down this laptop tonight and start reading this book (bought Fat to Skinny book at bookstore tonight)....I just hope and pray this is a "weigh out" for me. 

Best wishes, and thank you so much for posting your story.