Author Topic: Can Diet Pop (Soda) Cause a Stall?  (Read 8272 times)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
Can Diet Pop (Soda) Cause a Stall?
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
Just curious if this might be true. While I am looking and feeling thinner, I'm also consuming 3 cans of Diet Dr. Pepper each day. I'm thinking it might be slowing me down a bit. 

Is there any science behind this or am I just imagining things? Or have you had any experience?

SusansTurn

• View Profile
Re: Can Diet Pop (Soda) Cause a Stall?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:56:06 PM »
I do know that it does affect people negatively and can cause you to stall.  Try and replace a couple of those with water and see if it changes.

moose61

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:20:15 PM »
I've heard it can slow things down, but it seems like it happens to gals more than guys. It never affected me at all.

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »
Probably the sweetener  ;) 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »
Hi Waterlilly! :)

For most folks, sugar alcohols will cause stall outs.
The amount will vary from person to person.

If you're eating or drinking anything that has sweeteners (i.e. sugar alcohols) and your progress has slowed or stopped, avoid them for a while to see how your body responds.

Susan offered you some great advice, replace the Dr. Peppers with water.
Water is not only healthier for you, it aids in the weight loss process.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »
You guys are probably right. Once I finish off this 12 pack  :o :o :o I will quit the sauce.  It must be my age group. I seem to have a terrible time with diet pop. My diet pop is like other people's cigarettes....I can't have "just one" at home and might only drink one when I'm "socializing". Except remember, this is diet pop we're talking about! 

Damn those artificial sweeteners  >:(. Thanks for telling me what I didn't want to admit to myself. Artificial sugars (in ALL forms) are just nasty. I want to see numbers badly enough that I'm willing to quit.

Aye yai yai. I need a 12 step program for diet Dr. Pepper!

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:37:04 AM »
Aye yai yai. I need a 12 step program for diet Dr. Pepper!

You and me both!  You and me both....  :-\   I have gotten to the point that I can't bring it home any more.  HA!  I make myself wait until we go out to have it as a treat  ;D

AliciaInTX

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »
I'm with you guys! Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi is like crack! I let myself have one if we're out to lunch or dinner or I'm needing a pick up in the afternoon but I try REALLY hard to replace it as much as possible with water (and coffee in the AM). I've found that the sweeteners really do stall my weight loss, so I have even stopped baking the low-carb goodies until I'm at my goal (only 5 pounds to go and I'll celebrate with Umpa's luscious coconut cake!!). But yeah....don't keep it in the house!!! It WILL call to you! LOL.

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »
I have even stopped baking the low-carb goodies until I'm at my goal (only 5 pounds to go and I'll celebrate with Umpa's luscious coconut cake!!).

This is a really good idea. I do eat low carb "muffins" with almond and flaxseed meal for breakfast, but even that's enough. I think the low carb treats (even though they are low carb) can really slow you down.

On the brightside, if you avoid low carb treats but start eating them when you're at goal, it will be like you're back to your old ways as a reward but not really. It will still be low carb...just with the sugar alcohols. Sounds like a good plan to me!

AliciaInTX

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »
That's what I'm thinking, Waterlily! :) Then, we've got all those yummy goodies to look forward to and they'll all still be low carb!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »
When i quit diet sodas doug suggested that I just put a splash in my glass of water.That way I was getting the flavor to satisfy the craving. Now I have quit them and if I want a soda which is rare I drink seltzer water with flavored syrup.I am glad you like the cake Alicia ;) Love your new picture!
TooSweet thats a great idea :)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
I am a total Diet Coke addict. My family joined me of FTS last February and basically I had them doing the same routine that I do. What I found out was how different everyone's bodies are. I love SF candy, have a couple pieces a day and at least 4 diet cokes a day. If my guys did that they would instantly stall out. So we went to each time you have a soda you have to have a big glass of water. My husband is not a soda drinker now at all, but my kiddo could drink Fanta Orange zero all day if I let him. They are both maintaining now so it's not that big of an issue but I was surprised to see that even in a family each person's metabolism is different.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 07:15:10 AM »
I just read an article that says diet pop messes up your gut bacteria and can affect your metabolism.  I know for me it just makes me crave sweets even when I don't need sweets. I just quit the stuff again. I'll keep quitting until I can finally walk away from it. I feel better when I do.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
I just read an article that says diet pop messes up your gut bacteria and can affect your metabolism.  I know for me it just makes me crave sweets even when I don't need sweets. I just quit the stuff again. I'll keep quitting until I can finally walk away from it. I feel better when I do.

Hi Waterlilly! :)

I remember some years ago, a video that demonstrated what would happen to a piece of bologna left soaking in Coke.
As I recall, after being left overnight, the bologna exposed was completely digested!!! :o :o :o

If there's something in pop that can do that, I think I'll stick to water. ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Joagain

• You can have excuses or results you cant have both
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
I had to stop them all together because I would say I am just going to drink 1 a night then it would be well I will drink 1 at lunch too . Well you know the rest of the story ,plus I noticed it made me have cravings for stuff I have not had in 2 years like potato chips ,popcorn just salty junk carbs . So I have not had one it has been almost 2 months .

It is like crack too me I guess it replaced the bred crack I use to use  :D

You can have excuses or results you cant have both !