Author Topic: Stress, Depression & Comfort Eating  (Read 4536 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stress, Depression & Comfort Eating
« on: October 28, 2013, 07:09:55 AM »
All of the above apply at the moment.  Having been 'good' so to speak and staying on the fts wagon, even though it has been so frustrating at times. Not the food, or staying the course, but for the fact my body doesn't want get rid of the excess weight I am still carrying - no matter the tweaks!!!!

Good things come to those that persevere I tell myself.  This lifestyle really isn't that much of a hardship.  But life has other plans for us at times and while we try to reconcile those factors, the little sneaky carb creepers come sneaking their way in. My job hours have been cut to zero for the next 6 weeks at least;  I am so stressed and am not sure whether to wait and see if my hours pick up or I look for more work - I think the more work option has to kick in as -as much as I would like to be independently wealthy and only working for the fun of it, I am not - I need money to live on.  My car has its moments and I really can't afford repairs.  I need work around the house done. (On the plus side, if I am home and not working I will have time to do some of these overdue jobs.)  Family crisis aside - they are hiccups, but nothing too serious (I sincerely hope) at this stage.

It all adds up and it seems I loosen the reigns slightly.  Thankfully nothing serious, but still at times I feel like diving head first into the next sugar-laden thing that is presented to me.  It really is good that I have limited stuff of 'no no' items at home.

It will all work out the way it is supposed to - this is what I tell myself.  Doors close and others open.
I just have to get those proverbial 'big girl panties' on and deal. Thanks for listening.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stress, Depression & Comfort Eating
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:58:19 AM »
Life happens :) Change is good morgan.I had so much stress last week that I spent my weekend having panic attacks.Heart racing and couldn't breath.I turned off my phone ,and had a kitchen weekend.Put on calming music,lit my candles and incense and started to cook.Made cranberry jam,corned beef and cabbage,and a pumpkin pecan crumble.It calmed me down. ;) You will be fine ,you are a hard worker.

anjelhands

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »
Some days are like that. Some of the things that help me get through include looking at all my blessings and being grateful, saying thank you out loud for all the little things I tend to accept  & expect to be there  (sun shining, rain, warm coat, spices in the cupboard, memories - good and not so good, a friend to listen, clothes to wear, etc), knowing that I'm not in this alone, and remembering that "Worrying is praying for what you don't want."

Know you are loved, and know you are always worthy of that love.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »
Hello, Morgan.

In every life, there are times when challenges seems to pile on us, all at once.
And it can understandably feel overwhelming.

But remember this...
If you keep a positive attitude, and remember that this stuff is temporary,
before you know it, your circumstances will improve greatly. :) :) :)

In the meantime, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 06:29:49 AM »
So naive of me (or optimistic) that I was going to survive this without a hiccup.  Was busy and away from home, I did well all day and then I headed home - leaving it too long to eat - AGAIN.  I haven't had time to go shopping and didn't have anything with me.  Every thing is just piling on top of me.  I will have to get down to basics just like I did at the beginning.  Clear my mind and add some extra exercise - even just a walk.  Because of my nightshifts- my sleep has been erratic, I haven't been drinking enough water, and I haven't been keeping track of my hunger.  Excuses, excuses, excuses ...  Break out the book ... here I come.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »
Big hugs Morgan. Now lets talk about opportunity........ If I was you I'd take all that energy you're building up coupled with the extra time you have on your hands and I'd build an exercise regiment. Your weather is beautiful this time of year and a good long bike ride every day will do wonders for your attitude, cardio, pulmonary and as a bonus you'll most likely break through the plateau you've been struggling with.

Sunrise - Norman the dog rides a bike
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
Anjelhands I agree 1000%! I live my life in gratitude everyday.I am truly blessed ;)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 04:24:44 AM »
Dear Morgan -- wow, I was coming onling to post a thread about what I learned today that I believe will help me with my FTS eating, AND lo and behold here you are describinb the same thing.....

I agree -- it's hard to work outside, take care of home, I have a 2001 car that I don't trust, and, yes hiccups in my plans, family stress....etc.....

and it all adds up to stress.....but today I learned some things about it...

You see my sister is a mental health therapist, and today she was in my local area to give a training to some social workers....she does that a lot, and she asked me to spend night with her in hotel about an hour away and go to the training today and spend the day together....so I did....and so in attending in the training, I learned and realized I have generalized anxiety and hypervigilance....and it's from some old issues and those issues are long gone/resolved, BUT the habit I have of generalized anxiety and worry about money, job, time, getting house stuff done, WEIGHT issues, HEALTH issues, really fuels my carb cravings....I think these things are called 'triggers'.....and I also have hyper vigilance -- PTSD -- from childhood issues of not being safe....and probably my line of work doesn't help either...in fact I was in a building last week that was being visited by protesters and they were pounding on a window where I was sitting, and we had to evacuate to a side of the building the protestors could not access.....then we spent 2 hours waiting to see if they were going to break in....etc....BUT I digress....

So talked about this stuff with sis at lunch today.  Now while my sis is in that line of work, we haven't discussed this before....because well she's a sister, and she doesn't go around trying to treat friends and family, but just learning about anxiety, its symptoms and there are some great websites available to get general information.....I do not have extreme anxiety, but enough of it that it does trigger my carb cravings -- something I've always turned to for self-comfort....

So reading tonight I have learned some things.....to limit caffeine.....eat healthy.....get 30 mins of activity a day -- the experts say "control sweets".....but I remember when I was doing BEST on FTS this Spring I felt LESS Anxious, so for that reason -- even more than weight loss -- DAMN that scale anyway :-)   -- I'm getting back on FTS 20 carbs or BUST!!!

Also I'm adding a meditation time -- for me I'll get back to saying Rosary but there are all different ways/types of meditation -- like yoga, listening to music and thinking happy thoughts of pretty beaches etc......OH, and take some deep breaths at times....in through nose and slowly realease through mouth like a long sigh.......and some progressive relaxation exercises.....saw one place where it recommended to think of the word "LIMP" where you just remind your muscles to go lump and wow that brings some release from tension.....

So today I did tell my sis I'm going to work on the anxiety as a project....and sort of "do it yourself Elizabeth" plan, and I really believe this will help me with my carb cravings, and with adherence to the FTS eating....

So when I read your email, thought maybe these ideas might help you also....

Hug Morgan.....sometimes we just need more hugs.... :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
"HUGZ*  :) :)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:36:42 PM »
Feels good to read this and knowing that others go through stress & hardship too! Big hugs!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 09:14:05 AM »
Thanks for the well written post Liz. All of us have some form of disorder about something. Hang in there and remember, this is all about you and your good health.  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 06:06:41 AM »
Hugs right back to you too Liz.  And thanks for your suggestions.  I can sympathise with the anxiety - I ended up in hospital thinking I was having a heart attack but they put it down to anxiety/panic attack.  Funny, I can't recall being stressed about anything at the time.  But I learned to do a meditation that can be done anywhere, anytime, doing anything.  You don't zone out but you release all the, for want of a better word,  "negative" energy.  I am about 40-60 minutes by car away from most things, so I practise in the car.  Also when you wake in the middle of the night with your heart pounding - hasn't happened in quite a while (hope I haven't jinxed myself).   I have never felt as good as I have on the fts plan - so much better.  And when I get a feeling or something triggers that 'panic' sensation, I breathe my way through it.  So far, so good.  Hope you work through your issues too, I am sure you will.  HUGZ x lots.

Thanks for all the hugs people, so much appreciated.

Doug - since an income isn't happening at the moment, I have had to tell the man who mows my lawn on his ride-on mower not to come till I let him know otherwise.  I dragged out my mower, and what takes him less than an hour, took me 3hrs and 20mins walking up and down.  So I figure that was good exercise, not to mention raking up the grass that didn't end up in the catcher.  A friend and I have been going shopping also - more walking than actual shopping so this is good too.   :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
I have panic attacks and heart palpitations that are caused by menopause so I can relate.You are doing great Morgan ! How big is your yard? :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
Counting our blessings is something we should all do each and every day!
It's too easy for us take them for granted.
For example, the fact that we each just took a breath is a blessing in and of itself.

Taking inventory of our blessings gives perspective to those things that happen that are not pleasant.
And thinking about all our blessings will bring peace to our souls.
Without peace, we cannot have joy or happiness.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 04:12:17 PM »
It's a corner block and approximately 1/4 acre  and apart from where the house and garage sit it's all grass - kooch (probably spelt wrong) grass. It is like thatched and really thick. Feels like carpet and springy when U walk on it. Grows really quick this time of year, then dies off a bit in the heat.