Author Topic: So I am curious  (Read 8851 times)

mimimama

• View Profile
Re: So I am curious
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
I am an optician in Tampa, Florida.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
I am a medical / dental claims examiner for an insurance company.  It sounds SO boring, but I just LOVE talking to people and helping them with insurance issues.   I have always been in the insurance industry, except for 3 summers while in school I worked at the Wrigleys chewing gum factory where my parents were employed.  That was fun!  .....all the warm fresh gum you could chew & they gave you a pack as you left EVERY day!  If you ever pass through Flowery Branch, GA on I 985, you can smell the fresh gum from the interstate.

KFAITH

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
Very interesting to learn what  you all do! I am retired now. I started out in factories, than I was a floral designer working in a local shop, that job I loved but no money much. I still do lots of floral designs, crafts of all sorts and sewing and crocheting, I just love to make things and it keeps me busy. Than I started my own Christian daycare in my home and did that for 18 years, just retired  due to health problems from that 3 years ago. I was a preacher's daughter, now I am a preacher's wife, and a southern gospel singer. We  had a wonderful nursing home ministry for years till my husband began having heart problems. Working with children most of my life was very rewarding job that I loved doing here in Ohio.
With God all things are possible
Rosie

joagain

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
I was  a manager of a dry cleaners /laundry mat for 10 years until I had Tyler then I was lucky enough to stay home with him .When he started school I got a job at a  West Point Stevens Bed /Bath store and was the stocking manager stayed there until they closed down .
Now I am a mom & grandmother fulltime !

Rena

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 10:53:30 PM »
Jan -- Your gum job sounded SO COOL!  :)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
Thanks Rena!  :D  After those 3 summers, I decided I wanted an OFFICE job!  ha ha   They used a light dusting of fine powdered sugar between the stacks of fresh gum to keep it from sticking together.  You could TASTE it in the air in the packing department!  We had to wear these white outfits, hair nets, and "pillsbury doe boy hats", but some days I came home and my eyelashes were white with powdered sugar!  ha ha   :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:42:02 PM by Maddysmom »

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
Gum job is so unique!  I am a second grade teacher.  Kids certainly keep me young.  What a great post. I've enjoyed reading it!  Thanks everyone. :D

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for sharing some really cool information about yourselves.
Currently retired since the year 2000.
Worked 10 years with a title of Executive Secretary but was actually a glorifed well paid "go-for".  Have worked in a clerical or accounting capacity since my junior year of high school; including working at a recycling company, for 2 different attorney offices; an asphalt paving company, financial aid officer at a private school; and for a tax company.  My favorite, although short lived, was the time I was in the U.S. Navy. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:39:03 AM by suzlyn454 »
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
I was  a manager of a dry cleaners /laundry mat for 10 years until I had Tyler then I was lucky enough to stay home with him .When he started school I got a job at a  West Point Stevens Bed /Bath store and was the stocking manager stayed there until they closed down .
Now I am a mom & grandmother fulltime !

I just read this post about your job at West Point Stevens.  About 2 weeks ago I was wanting to buy new sheets.  I had a set that I've had forever that are like new and had a great feel.  When I looked at the tag they were "West Point Stevens".  I've been buying sheets at BB&B and been so upset with their quality.  I found out doing an online search that they went out of business.   POOP, anywho what a co-in-dink that you worked there!  I did finally find what I wanted at JCPenny thanks to the suggestion of TooSweet.

AliciaInTX

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 12:26:47 PM »
I have a design business that I run from my home, creating adoption and birth announcements, holiday cards, birthday invitations, anniversary party invitations, you get the idea. ;)  It's a business I kind of fell into after we brought our youngest child home from Korea in 2003. I created some things and others asked me to make some for them and it set the ball rolling. :)  It's fun and it allows me to be home with my children and granddaughter. :) My OTHER job is caring for her during the week while my daughter goes to school and works. She keeps me busy but I've noticed I have the energy to keep up with her when I'm not gorging myself on sugar.  I also do the occasional photography shoot. Taking photos is something I really enjoy.

joagain

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
I loved their sheets to suz . I finally just bought some I like at target .

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
I'm a writer and I get to work from home. My latest novel is listed below in my signature. It's a paranormal romance. So if you're into vampires, magicals, and dragons check it out.

One thing I have always wanted to do was go to real estate school. I just think it would be so fun to sell people their dream houses and be a part of that process. Before FTS I would have been too heavy and to embarrassed to go. So guess what I did today? I signed up for Real Estate school! I start this Wednesday!! I am SO EXCITED!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Rena

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »
Oh Sherri -- that's awesome! Good luck! :) :)

And Jan -- My grandfather used to be a baker and would come home all dusted in flour.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 08:53:10 AM »
So when we're looking for retirement property in Florida, we'll know who to call.

Congratulations on taking steps to follow your dreams, Sherrie.

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
Good Luck on the real estate school.  I think in my other life I was a private eye or detective LOL :D  My husband has a military submarine reunion every two years.  One year with searching I found almost 100 of the missing shipmates.  Of course, there are still several 100 unaccounted for.  It was so cool to locate people that were "missing" when they really weren't.  I had to give it up, the guy who plans the reunions told me that we were getting too large and he would have trouble finding a venue that would support everyone !!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:41:10 AM by suzlyn454 »